LQ1 dying, vol. 2

Night Fury

Hokay...... This just started happening today, completely out of the blue. Like, it literally startled the crap out of me.

Unlike last time, idle is perfect and it isn't dying due to it.

It's cutting out or something under acceleration. Like bad. It's weird though because its kinda hard to duplicate. But when it happens..... it is VERY harsh, its like a whole bank gets shut off or something, so the engine is just slamming around in the bay and it sounds like it's gonna fucking blow, but when it isn't happening, everything is perfect and smooth all the way to redline.

When happening, the rpm gauge shoots down very rapidly, like its actually getting pulled down rather than just floating down. Not to mention the needle is flying EVERYWHERE.

I've got the camera in the car to try to catch it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• mra32

• RobertISaar

• AL

are all your battery cables tight? mabey check your grounds too? i was with a buddy once when the batt cable came undone and the gauges dropped like a rock, (and the car died) that kind of sounds like whats happening here.

I kinda thought about that, but headlights/wipers/etc have no change, as well as all other gauges are fine too and don't drop like the rpm one does.

well then i would look at the crank sensor, not that im an expert by any means but i believe the tach runs off the crank sensor and the car will not run if its dead so mabey its on its way out?

i did one on my lumina, sooo not fun, they like to get stuck in the hole and you have to pry them out, i broke mine but not enough to where i couldnt pry it out still, but from what i hear if you break it off bad enough you have to punch the rest into the motor and drop the pan to get the pieces out. i could be wrong though. if you do it i would advise taking you time and try to pry evenly on both sides.

icm?

I'll second this. When the one in my Olds died, it started missing something fierce, and it had no power. Then it would stop, be good for a little while, then start missing again. Turned out to be the ICM, and it fried the coil.

I has a vid. And like Al said it left me stranded tonight.

I don't want to spend a cent on this car, but if it's just one part I'm ok with it. I DO NOT want to fucking start replacing parts willy nilly and waste money.

But yeah, vid shortly!!!!

now changing my vote to ICM... if the PCM or PROM was going, then the speedo should have dropped like a fly as well.

it was a while ago and i dont have all them fancy gauges, but when my PCM shit the bed, speedo was fine, but like it would not be able to receive/process info from various sensors, making it run like doo doo. It was bucking really hard on acceleration sometimes, would idle itself up to 30mph quickly, would fuck up for extended periods of time, with me flooring it on the highway, it bucking the whole time going 40. I'll try to find my thread.

The thing is its really intermittent. Like I drove it all the way home today. I was nice to it and it drove PERFECT. But one block from home I figured I'd really get into the throttle, and sure enough it did it again, then stalled, then wouldn't re-start. But I drove it a good 4 miles perfectly before I got in it and it did that