Front Strut Replacement--97 Lumina

3pt1lumina

Title says it all, I need to replace the front struts and strut bearings in my 97 Lumina. I have a terrible click/knock as I turn the wheel, and it clunk's over bumps.

I know there is a tool to get the cartridge's out. What is the tool? Where can I get it? And has anyone done the bearings before? I don't know if I can actually do this one on my own, and shops are quoting me $500 to do this.....and I just bought a house so I'd like to spend half of that if possible.

Bearings are the lower spring seat, so yeah the quote is about right since you have to R/R the entire knuckle/strut assy. The click and knock is more likely those.

To do just the cartridge, AZ rents the tool, its like a $75 deposit you get every penny back once you return it.

Title says it all, I need to replace the front struts and strut bearings in my 97 Lumina. I have a terrible click/knock as I turn the wheel, and it clunk's over bumps.

I know there is a tool to get the cartridge's out. What is the tool? Where can I get it? And has anyone done the bearings before? I don't know if I can actually do this one on my own, and shops are quoting me $500 to do this.....and I just bought a house so I'd like to spend half of that if possible.

Most auto places will rent it, as Bob mentioned. You can do this on your own, trust me. I've done it on my own, twice. The first time was when I was 17 and didn't know a damn thing about working on cars, except that I had a Haynes manual and it said I needed a strut removal tool, so I went out and rented it. Speaking of which, I would get a Haynes manual if at all possible. They are invaluable if you're new to working on this car or cars in general. If you need to replace the bearings, you'll also need a spring compressor tool. How are the struts as far as bounce go? How many miles, and have they ever been replaced? If the car bounces when you push down on it instead of leveling out, you need to replace them, but if they're fine, you don't necessarily need to replace them if you're on a budget.

Bearings are the lower spring seat, so yeah the quote is about right since you have to R/R the entire knuckle/strut assy. The click and knock is more likely those.

To do just the cartridge, AZ rents the tool, its like a $75 deposit you get every penny back once you return it.

The tool set can also be bought on ebay for around $60 shipped if you want to keep it. Next time I have to do struts on a 1st gen will be on my sister in law's regal, and I'll just have her pay for the tool so I can keep it as part of paying me to do the job. Speaking of lower spring seat bearings, I think mine have been on their way out for at least 30k miles now. Oops...

• 3 weeks later...

WOW. I changed all four struts on a 97 GTP and I only charged $50 per strut to do it. I used the spring compressor from autozone too lol He supplied new mounts and struts so it was just labor/shop towels :P did I get taken on that job?

WOW. I changed all four struts on a 97 GTP and I only charged $50 per strut to do it. I used the spring compressor from autozone too lol He supplied new mounts and struts so it was just labor/shop towels :P did I get taken on that job?

Not necessarily. I charged $200 labor for brakes, rotors, and brake hardware on all 4 corners on an intrigue, the parts being $280. Midas quoted $850. Its different when you don't have to pay a shop to do it. You can make a killing as a garage mechanic if you have a big network of friends and family.

Hi,

I've got to change the strut bearings in my 98 Lumina. Can anyone offer any tips or pointers that might make this a little easier? I was planning to do the ballast joints as well since they'll be apart.

Thanks, 33eze