Brake problems with the STE

turbostewhite

Hey,

Can anyone tell me what causes the ste/tgp brake system to become problematic(besides pads, rotors, etc...) Is the Master Cyl or Booster prone to issues? Also, will my 1992 STE brake system fit a 1990 STE?

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Marc

It's the master cylinder as a whole that becomes the problem. The rear calipers are also prone to freezing. Your 92 system will not be a direct replacement, as the ABS master cylinder is a lot different.

Nope, no problems, none whatsoever. :wink: :lol: Why do you think we call it the powercrapper III. You might want to delete this post and pretend there is nothing wrong unless you have a decent bank acct. (If something is wrong w/ the PC3) I personally haven't had any problems (YET, YET) the only one I have is my brake lights staying on. IIRC, the housing cracks on the back and leaks fluid. They're a pain in the ass to bleed properly, but if you get the Prior Reman'd unit (~$800) they cast their own housings to fix the weak point and eliminate (or reduce atleast) the chance for fracture. I *think* (but watch out I don't do that ofter) the accumulator can leak and it looks alot like a cracked housing so make sure if you're loosing fluid to find out EXACTLY where it's coming from, unless you are rich and can blow $800. :shock: Good luck w/ it. At the rate I'm going, I'll have a brand damn new car and the PC3 will be soon after. (Every time I fix something, something else breaks. I WILL run out of cheap stuff soon enough)

So, if i find one in a similar GP at the local Junkyard, I should go ahead and get it? If it's the same year?(not different from turbo car to non turbo car?)the pedal is high and hard, i'm assuming the master cylinder or booster isn't getting vaccuum..either one...

Am I missing something or did the TSTE's not come w/ the PM3???? The PM is electronically asisted power brakes. Since it's turbo, no vacuum to have to worry about. Someone straighten me out here. :roll:

I'm new at the TGP game, but I'm pretty sure all the TGPs got the same set up as far as brakes, drive train, motor, etc, 2-door or not. If he's referring to his Turbo STE, I would assume it's the same Powermaster III as the 2-door version. I'll have to look at mine which is still sitting their waiting for an alternator. :roll:

So, if i find one in a similar GP at the local Junkyard, I should go ahead and get it? If it's the same year?(not different from turbo car to non turbo car?)the pedal is high and hard, i'm assuming the master cylinder or booster isn't getting vaccuum..either one...

If it from a 89-90 w-body (pontiac, cutlass, damn brain fart on the olds version...) and the master cyl cap is rhe same it should work.

It is not vacuum, it is controlled by the accumulator which is controlled by fuses... via the abs controller

I wouldn't really recommend a USED one unless you get it REALLY cheap. Most yards will charge as much as prior for a PMIII.

If your pedal is hard then the unit has stopped working. Its an integrated ABS system. Meaning the power booster in built into the master cyldiner. You DO have a turbo? You might be able to replace just the motor, but you need to figure out if there are other problems. It may be that the accumulator was low, and that took out the motor because it would have to run at ever pedal press. That wears out the motor. There are a couple of fusible link type fuses near the washer bottle that you should check. If they are blown, try replacing them and see how it works and let us know. You could also have a bad relay. There is an "abs" fuse in the glove box you will need to check to as it provides the ignition feed to the pump motor relay. Any questions just ask and I/we can step you through it better.

Thanks, Chris. I will troubleshoot the electrical system first, then look into a used unit if i have to. I have a 92 ste for parts, but i understand the 90 and 92 brake systems differ. could you confirm this for me? ...just want to hear it from at least 2 people before proceeding.

I also have a lumina that could be a donor, if the parts are the same...not a turbo, though. Is this brake system ONLY on turbos?

if so, then...poop.

No, this brakes system is not found on any w-body after 1991. The turbo cars used this brake system exclusively, and it was found on other w-bodies that had optional abs. It will be easy to see once you look at the TurboSTE system and compare it to the newer ones.

Chris

Okay, fellas here's the deal. I went to storage to check out my brake system in my STE, and the PM III has been replaced by a standard brake booster, vaccuum provided by the plenum, bung plug removed and vac. line threaded in, and abs wires just hanging!

Now, I've never driven the car, it's got a bad tranny. However, the brakes must work regardless, car was driven before i bought it. Old owner must have gotten fed up and swapped it out!

Okay, now i need your feedback on this one.

1. Do you recommend this kind of swap? I don't mean abs vs. non-abs.

2. Will this mess any other systems up in the car? computer stuff, vaccuum loss, etc...

3. Should i just keep it in there? I prefer non-abs, don't ask me why, I just do.

4. Brakes seemed fine just rolling car in driveway without engine running, nothing unusual about their feel.

Thanks guys...lemme know what you all think about it!