34mm sway bar

GTP091

I have another batch of parts almost ready to go to the powder coater and I want to send a 34mm sway bar in as well. I'll be keeping my bar on my car and plan to get a spare from JY while I wait for poly bushings to show up. Does anybody know if I need a bar from a GP or will a bar from a Z34 be the same as mine? There's usually more luminas in the yard than GPs...

I did the same thing, got one cheap out of a Z and had it powder-coated then swapped it in when I did all 4 poly bushings......then sold my 34mm to another member who had a 30mm stock.

Ok thanks for the replies. If they are the same as you say I'll have to pull one the next time I'm at the JY. It will be interesting to see how the subframe drops to get it out. Nice I can try it on another car before my own. Is there any sense in replacing any of the subframe hardware while it's lowered? Does GM use any rubber isolators in them? I'll always see when I take it apart.

mike

I supported the front sub-frame cross member on jack stands, then put a jack in the middle of the rear sub-frame cross member and loosened the two rear mounts and lowered it using the jack.

Hmm. I had thought the front were just loosened a bit to allow some tilt. :think: Are the bolts on the front not long enough? If the jasckstands need to stay on the front subframe like you say I will need another way to support the body or maybe another pair of jackstands...

I was able to get one in without dropping the rear of the subframe at all. Front of the car has to be in the air, but I got it in with some creative turning.

I was able to get one in without dropping the rear of the subframe at all. Front of the car has to be in the air, but I got it in with some creative turning.

Sounds similar to alternator removal. Were you able to do this without hammers and scratching pieces of the unibody to bare metal? If this is doable I'd rather give it a try as I have a feeling the subframe bolts may be a bitch to get out without heat and alot of cussing. Again the donor car I find will be a great guinea pig.

No hammers for sure, not sure how much gouging of the body was involved... not much IIRC. But the car I did it on was a POS and I didn't really care if it got scratched up.

when you drop rear of subframe probably a good idea to disconnect the column from the rack, 11mm bolt needs to be removed.

and just use a good 6 point 15mm on the subframe bolts and you should be just fine.

When I put a 34mm bar in my TGP, I unbolted the rack from the subframe, and loosened and lowered only the rear. Keep in mind you should also unbolt your dogbone(s).

There was NO way I was getting it in with the subframe up. (hitting the DP)

I've done it multiple times by jacking the car up, placing the body on jackstands, jacking up the rear of the frame, removing the bolts and lowering the frame about 2-3 inches. This without disconnecting the steering column.

No luck yet the JY is still out of LQ1's this is the first time I can remember there hasn't been a single one there. If i had a cavalier, sunbird, old lumina, or dodge carvan I'd have lots of pickins. maybe next week or so.