Factory Speaker Upgrades?

Galaxie500XL

Back awhile ago, I seem to remember someone having mentioned that certain speakers from other GM cars were a reasonably good fit, and an improvement over the standard speakers.

My '95 Cutlass convertible has a buzzing right speaker...I've spent so much lately on repairs, the budget is an issue, so something that would fix my buzzing, and still improve the sound would be ideal.

It's a '95, so it's got the 5.25 speakers in the doors, with the small tweeters just above them, and 5.25 speakers in the quarter panel trim next to the seat armrest in the rear.

Change the head unit and the rear speakers, a world of differnce. The door speakers tend to hold up reasonable well.

:think:

Actually you would want to replace your FRONT speakers first since you get most of the sound you hear from the drivers seat somes from them. Not sure how they would hold up any better then the rears either:shrug:

To answer the original question. Speakers out of any GM would work so long as they are the same size and ohm load. But chances are any you find are gonna be just as beat as the ones you already have. Just get a halfway decent set of aftermarket ones and be done with it.

:think:

Actually you would want to replace your FRONT speakers first since you get most of the sound you hear from the drivers seat somes from them. Not sure how they would hold up any better then the rears either:shrug:

To answer the original question. Speakers out of any GM would work so long as they are the same size and ohm load. But chances are any you find are gonna be just as beat as the ones you already have. Just get a halfway decent set of aftermarket ones and be done with it.

The concept is probably that the rears get more sunlight and get baked more easily, while the door speakers don't get that same exposure. When I put in my aftermarket speakers, my rears too were in worse condition than the fronts.