Completed Install - Indash 8" widescreen touchscreen VGA monitor

BXX

This is for my carputer setup, that actual install will follow shortly once I get my trunk panels done and find a decent amp.

So after a fair amount of hardwork, I completed the panel. For those who dont know, this is a 94-96 GP dash in my 95 CS. It went in cause it looks better and has HUD and DIC. The trim panel was originally din 1.5. Its now larger than 2 din to accept the Lilliput touchscreen monitor.

Trim panel paint is textured metallic graphite.

Picture033.jpg

Picture034.jpg

Picture040.jpg

Picture056.jpg

Picture051.jpg

Picture049.jpg

The little hole in the left of my HVAC unit is where I relocated the monitor's IR remote sensor to. Desoldered it from the main button board, added 12" wires to it and soldered it all together and mounted the sensor on the other side of the hole.

Oh, and this little girl here is Ryanna. She loves my CS (calls it the pimpmobile) and she PWNS even Irondog!!!

Picture053.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Picture071.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Random pic showing the stance. Front and rear coilovers. Not low enough!!!

Picture078.jpg

Picture081.jpg

the monitor is actually part of the trim panel. The original monitor bezel was cut smaller a bit and then molded into the dash trim.

11.jpg

33.jpg

0401102005.jpg

66.jpg

77.jpg

0321101024_01.jpg

0321101104_01.jpg

0321101042_01.jpg

0321101257_01.jpg

Oh, and this is part of my trunk im doing up. Its waiting to go in as soon as i finish other pieces. Ignore the car, thats just there to show there is a piece of plexi there. I will prolly do an etching on the plexi as well.

0401101829.jpg

Thanks!

lol, yup. Currenty they are the cheapest around and being smaller works better for me at work since when I have a smoke I like to make it quick and then get back to work. Im a flat rate tech, so the less I stand around the more I can make. Then again business is slow so I have plenty of time to stand around :confused:

Man the old car is looking great man! That new stance looks great, and will look even better with some 50 series and those 10in springs. Definately going to get me a carputer setup once my other projects are done.

Really nice work. Looks really good. It is just too bad you couldn't match the color to the rest of the dash, but it's not a really big deal so fuck it.

Looks great! Do you plan to get an aircard to get on the internet with it?

A few years ago I started to accumulate parts for a carputer, but then I realized there wasn't anything I needed it to do that a modern car stereo can't (I'm too cheap to ever pay for cellular internet).

Really nice work. Looks really good. It is just too bad you couldn't match the color to the rest of the dash, but it's not a really big deal so fuck it.

He could if he wanted, SEM makes a graphite that matches the GM color. I can get the SEM # off the can I have at home if there's any interest.

I may or may not get a mobile broadband card for it..

I coulda went with a nice double din HU, but it wont runing my HP Tuners setup for tuning, datalogging, diagnostics, and hold a shitload of music and videos. Ill end up going to a 250gb or larger drive and prolly using every bit of that space:dance:

And the cost is less than that of a nice Pioneer or Alpine unit.

I could have went with factory color SEM paint, but there are two reasons why I used the paint I did.

The stock color is just plain and looks like poo. The textured metallic paint gives it a nice look and doesnt stand out and look ricerish. Plus since its textured it does hide small flaws that would otherwise be quite noticable.

I may or may not get a mobile broadband card for it..

I coulda went with a nice double din HU, but it wont runing my HP Tuners setup for tuning, datalogging, diagnostics, and hold a shitload of music and videos. Ill end up going to a 250gb or larger drive and prolly using every bit of that space:dance:

And the cost is less than that of a nice Pioneer or Alpine unit.

I could have went with factory color SEM paint, but there are two reasons why I used the paint I did.

The stock color is just plain and looks like poo. The textured metallic paint gives it a nice look and doesnt stand out and look ricerish. Plus since its textured it does hide small flaws that would otherwise be quite noticable.

I have to agree that the paint adds a nice touch. At first I thought I wouldnt like it, but its really subtle until the light hits it then it kinda sparkles and looks really cool.

that install looks really good....definitely needs online access though, imho

Oh, I agree. But convincing my girlfriend that my car needs a $29.99/month Verizon mobile broadband plan wont be easy:bang:

Can you just tether your cellphone to it? I think a lot of providers disallow it these days, but several years ago you could just do it, and it'd work.

I can tether my phone I know that, but I still need a mobile broadband dataplan.

I have Verizon... Wait, Shaun. You work for Verizon right?? Any more insight on the best route??

I dunno if I still have the video of where I was testing it in the house..

Since ive been using the computer for a home one for the time being im gonna end up having to redo the HDD anyway. And get a copy of XP and not XP Tablet which I currently have installed on it (uses more resources which arent needed for something that isnt a tablet pc )

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Glad you explained the GP dash..I recognized the door panels as being from a Cutlass, but the dash looked different...

Fantastic work!

Yeah, I guess unless I said otherwise it might be confusing to someone :D

Dash panel is holding up fantastically, no cracks or anything so far!! And im lovin this carputer. NAV doesnt work as I have to relocate the GPS unit and mess with the firmware a bit more. Ill just address it when I decided to swap to a different mobo and hdd this fall.