Ram Air, and my Concerns

MaroonRegal

My Regal basically has a factory CAI, right behind the headlights. Now I could take off the headlight, but I don't want to, so I've devised a great way to get some some tubing right behind the grill to feed my airbox, it should work great, so long as it's not raining.

My only question is this: how do I prevent water from entering my airbox? Are there any kind of high-airflow screens that would block water from destroying my K&N and my Engine?

My Regal basically has a factory CAI, right behind the headlights. Now I could take off the headlight, but I don't want to, so I've devised a great way to get some some tubing right behind the grill to feed my airbox, it should work great, so long as it's not raining.

My only question is this: how do I prevent water from entering my airbox? Are there any kind of high-airflow screens that would block water from destroying my K&N and my Engine?

If you ever explore the inside of your airbox you will notice there is a small hole in the bottom. There is a reason the Filter element is at the top of the box, there is not enough vacume to suck water into the engine. And the little pinhole in the box is the drain for whatever water makes it into the box.

Alittle water wont hurt your K&N not unless its got the special K&N special Solvent in it. Rain wont have that. K&N is oil based and oil is alot heavier then water so you shouldnt have a problem IMO

If your that concerned about water getting into the engine just make that little pinhole a little bigger.

Also. your factory inake tub that goes to your airbox is Restrictive you would be better off replaceing this pipe or just completely remove it.

Personaly I have cut the entire front of my airbox out so it catches everything that comes from behind the headlight and i havent had a problem yet(50,000 miles). Although the filter gets dirtier more often. But no big deal its lifetime warrenty.

I doubt you will suck in very much air. And a water never hurts anything. Your engine produces water from the explosion anyway. Althought not alot but still you shouldnt be sucking in very much.

If you ever explore the inside of your airbox you will notice there is a small hole in the bottom. There is a reason the Filter element is at the top of the box, there is not enough vacume to suck water into the engine. And the little pinhole in the box is the drain for whatever water makes it into the box.

Alittle water wont hurt your K&N not unless its got the special K&N special Solvent in it. Rain wont have that. K&N is oil based and oil is alot heavier then water so you shouldnt have a problem IMO

If your that concerned about water getting into the engine just make that little pinhole a little bigger.

Also. your factory inake tub that goes to your airbox is Restrictive you would be better off replaceing this pipe or just completely remove it.

Personaly I have cut the entire front of my airbox out so it catches everything that comes from behind the headlight and i havent had a problem yet(50,000 miles). Although the filter gets dirtier more often. But no big deal its lifetime warrenty.

umm.........hell yeah theirs enoughe vacum to suck water into the intake...

I was dring my 3.1 gp and on a rainy blacked out street and before I new it I hit deap puddle of water and before I could even throw intake suck up enoughe water to hydro lock the engine..

I'm putting the engine back together righte now I warped both heads,had to replace all 12 lifters, flush the block,and other crap, I'm doing all the work myself(exept the machining of the heads) and it still cost about $320 in parts and machining

my car has the factory air box but my car is droped about 1.5"s(and i'm no for sure it has the factory air box cause takes in air lower than any other gp Ive seen.)

the best way to have a cold air intake and still be able to drive in the rain is to get a cold air kit like the ones from APC they have a highe density foam collar built in close to the intake so if you hit a puddle and filter is submerged the filter is bypassed and car begins breathing threw the foam collar..........thats the only cold air method I would trust for sure....

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. Any way I could make a foam thing myself?

I doubt you will suck in very much air.

Why? I'm not expecting a huge HP increase here, but I think this should turn out similar to the Ram Air Grand Am's system, doesn't that create extra airflow?

Haz, here's my plan: I'll run a 3" hose from behind the headlight, where my airbox is, the hardest part of the whole plan will be sealing this hose to the airbox somehow. I'll remove the flimsy plastic thing next to and perpendicular to the grille. Then I'll run the 3" hose to the empty space between the grille and ther radiator, and turn the opening 90 degrees and find someway to keep it in place. The stock opening for my airbox is about 1.5" X 5", creating an opening area of about 7.5 sq. inches. A 3 inch hose creates an opening with area of about 7 sq. in. (1.5*1.5*Pi). Will this drop in pressure give me more airflow or less? I can't remember.

quote = "topless94style"]I doubt you will suck in very much air.

Why? I'm not expecting a huge HP increase here, but I think this should turn out similar to the Ram Air Grand Am's system, doesn't that create extra airflow?

My bad, i meant water i think. I must have been tired or something. Yea i thought about the grand am ram air but i got side tracked. if it works let us know how it turns out.

doin intakes is sorrta like exhaust systems the more bends and the longer the tubing is the less flow ya get...

its possible to build a custom bypass you could use a water sensor like the ones they put on the floor in water heater clsets that shut off the water when they get wet.....

you could do a pvc ram air intake with a T split and extra air filter inside the engine compart ment that is more restriced than the one in the grill then........had a butter fly valvle and water senser so if you hit a puddle the the butter fly valve closes and the car is forced to use the restricted air filter in the engine compartment.