window dropping down/off track

douellette

okay so i think ive asked about this before but here goes.

When i try putting my window down (or up) the front of it just drops down and the top edge of the back of the window pops out of the track. I took it to my local body shop today to look at it, and he showed me that the window wasnt going into the frontside track. so i took it home and adjusted the track so that the window is actually in there now.

But the problem is still there. What in the hell could fix this?? I'd like to be able to use my driver window when it gets warmer out haha.

If it's the same way my 90 Lumina is, there are black plastic tabs on the ends of the window. After awhile, they fatigue and fall off. I found mine in the bottom of the door, re-glued it and it lasted about 6 months, then I just went and got a new window from the junkyard with good clips, problem solved.

100_3483.jpg

100_3488.jpg

no mines a little bit different. it has a plastic piece that covers the entire rear end of the glass. it has like some sort of tab on it, but idk if it is worn out or not.

Sounds like mine. Has anyone here NEVER had a problem with their 1st gen W-body's windows?

I need mine fixed too, though I'm getting used to just holding the window when I put it up and down.

My Lumina windows work perfect. I made a thread a while ago about the passenger side giving torubles, but it was a simple lube the track up repair in the end.

Every couple months I just spray a shit load of silicone spray down the track and run the motor up and down a few times. Seems to keep things ticking.

Sounds like mine. Has anyone here NEVER had a problem with their 1st gen W-body's windows?

I've never had a problem with the windows other than a window motor failure.

Hmm alright. The reason I said that is it seems like a lot of people have had this problem. I guess you're one of the lucky ones.

Hey I don't have power windows, I use good 'ol crank. Can mine still fall into fate of this problem?

98 Lumina BTW

Being that its a problem with track/the window itself and NOT an issue with the regulator or roller... I'd say yes...

I don't think 98 Luminas are as prone to it though, I'm not sure.

My old merc cougar (RIP) had the slider wear down the track and the metal split. This made the track 2 inches shorter so the slider fell off the end and the window fell into the door. I bet if you take the door panel off and hunt around with a flashlight you will find something broken and most likely it will be plastic. If you find the culprit and post the needed parts in the selling/wanted section someone may be able to find it at their local JY. I'm going to the pick and pull on a 284 hunt this weekend myself.

My old merc cougar (RIP) had the slider wear down the track and the metal split. This made the track 2 inches shorter so the slider fell off the end and the window fell into the door. I bet if you take the door panel off and hunt around with a flashlight you will find something broken and most likely it will be plastic. If you find the culprit and post the needed parts in the selling/wanted section someone may be able to find it at their local JY. I'm going to the pick and pull on a 284 hunt this weekend myself.

the only thing i found in the door was a chunk of rubber with some felt on it. it was like a rectangular block and had 2 like slits on one end of it. ive since lost it and the pictures haha.