L36 intake manifold + valve cover gaskets job - NEED ANSWERS

KingVee

I can't sleep because I've been thinking about the list of things I need.

Here's what I have so far. I feel there might be a few things missing and I'm hoping some of you could help me if so - and THANK YOU for doing so!

PARTS

• FEL-PRO PERMADRY lower intake manifold gaskets
  • FEL-PRO PERMADRY valve cover gaskets
  • DORMAN upper intake manifold (includes a bunch of stuff; injector o-rings, PCV o-ring, PCV valve spring, vacuum o-ring, coolant passage seals)
  • Coolant elbows

PRODUCTS, COMPOUNDS, FLUIDS

• Permatex ULTRA BLACK Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker
  • Threadlocker??? Which one??? (which bolts do I need to lock too? LOL)
  • Prestone Super Cleaner
  • Prestone Dex-Cool
  • Mobil Oil & Filter
  • Lots of distilled water

TOOLS

• Ratchet & Sockets
  • Torque Wrench
  • Something to clean mating surfaces (should I use a cleaning agent on there as well?)
  • Lots of rags

Huh, huh. You said "mating". Hm heh heh heh.

I'm watching this thread because I NEED to do this job on my Intrigue like, yesterday.

I didn't use threadlocker. It wasn't called for in the service manual.

As for mating surface cleaning, you can use anything that doesn't scratch the metal.

Razor blades are good

Beer.

Considering the amount of things I have to buy here, I think we'll be a little short in our budget for beer. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huh, huh. You said "mating". Hm heh heh heh.

Hhhhhuhuhuh.

I didn't use threadlocker. It wasn't called for in the service manual.

That's good to know. I thought I read it in my Haynes manual though. Oh well, one thing not to buy. :D

IIRC, the injector o-rings that come with the Dorman kit are wayyyyy too big. I was able to reuse mine, after cleaning them, and rubbing them down in dielectric grease (not gobs of it, just a thin layer on the o-rings). However, if you are not able to re-use them, you should be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store. You will have to buy 2 sets of the o-rings though.

I had this issue, and so did Al Walker. Hopefully he will chime in, maybe even with pictures. I'll try to find some pictures myself and post them up, just for reference.

You need Loctite 242. I happened just to borrow some from work today for this job. :mrgreen:

I might not be able to get my hands on Loctite, but every store here carries Permatex, same company that makes RTV.

Just don't know what color to use and how to really use it.

IIRC, the injector o-rings that come with the Dorman kit are wayyyyy too big. I was able to reuse mine, after cleaning them, and rubbing them down in dielectric grease (not gobs of it, just a thin layer on the o-rings). However, if you are not able to re-use them, you should be able to pick them up at your local auto parts store. You will have to buy 2 sets of the o-rings though.

I had this issue, and so did Al Walker. Hopefully he will chime in, maybe even with pictures. I'll try to find some pictures myself and post them up, just for reference.

I'll keep that in mind. It's not like it's expensive anyway.

What about the other o-rings included?

Those were there. I used some and didn't use others. Your discretion.

Well I meant, are they the right size or would I need to buy those too?

I know Chris said I would chime in, but I am really not sure what to add other than it was a very easy job... What I did when taking parts off it keep the bolts with the removed part and line them up in order, and if you have to, write down what you take off in the order so you can put it back together the same way... Also invest in a torque wrench...

I know Chris said I would chime in, but I am really not sure what to add other than it was a very easy job... What I did when taking parts off it keep the bolts with the removed part and line them up in order, and if you have to, write down what you take off in the order so you can put it back together the same way... Also invest in a torque wrench...

Neighbor's going to lend me his for now.

There is already too much money involved.

Dielectric grease is for promoting electrical conduct on electrical components, not for fuel injector o-rings :eek:

Dielectric grease is for promoting electrical conduct on electrical components, not for fuel injector o-rings :eek:

Engine oil works fine

Dont use oil on the O-rings, it will cause them to expand and lose some of there elasticity and then they dont seal as well... Use the di-electric grease, it works the best, Chris, Its used because of how slick it is lol, even tho its not its main number 1 purpose, it still is recommended

Dont use oil on the O-rings, it will cause them to expand and lose some of there elasticity and then they dont seal as well... Use the di-electric grease, it works the best, Chris, Its used because of how slick it is lol, even tho its not its main number 1 purpose, it still is recommended

Weird, the actual GM service manual said to use clean engine oil.

I'm sure either would be fine

I generally use a small amount of transmission fluid. It's a light lubricant, and won't damage the "o" rings.

I generally use a small amount of transmission fluid. It's a light lubricant, and won't damage the "o" rings.

What about vaseline - it lubes well and is petroleum based