"Low Fuel" light

alec_b

Is there any particular reason why mine doesn't work? Actually, it DOES work, as it lights up when I start the car, but it never comes on when I get low on fuel. In my SSEi, it would come on right about when the needle hit the yellow hash marks. I've had the GP waaaay deep into the yellow, no light.

However, one night I put gas in it and left it running (damn Minnesota winters), and when I got back in the light was on! Stayed on just long enough for me to realize what it was and BLINK gone just like that. Haven't seen it since.

Any thoughts on what might cause this? Bad connection on the IPC board? When do your low fuel lights usually come on?

Any thoughts on what might cause this? Bad connection on the IPC board? When do your low fuel lights usually come on?

My low fuel light comes on when my car is low on fuel.

No red on my gauge, just yellow. Yellow would start at approx. the 1/8th mark, but I know for sure my gauge it off. I've had it almost to the bottom of the gauge (bottom of the yellow, near the white extreme bottom line), and it only took 14.something gallons to fill it, meaning I had about 1.5-2 gallons left.

My fuel light-heck, all of my warning lights-eventually got a mind of their own. My dealership had to rebuild my cluster and they've been fine since.

I don't know an exact cause, but as far as I know it's common for the clusters to go screwy.

Mine will come on a little before the needle is in the yellow. However, when I fill the tank (and I don't mean top it off for all its worth), the needle is well above the full mark. Also, if I fill the tank at about the 1/4 mark or a little below, it will take about 13 gallons or so. I wonder if your needle will drop below the empty mark substantially before you actually run out of fuel. If the gauge reads low all the time, that might be why the light doesn't come on.

I know the gauge reads low, but only when it's under a half tank. Above a half tank it's pretty damn even, but by the time it gets to the bottom I think it's closer, within a gallon or so. Of course no gas gauge is perfect, especially not GM ones, so maybe I'll just have to live w/o the light. No big deal, I watch my gauges like a hawk anyways.

Carry a couple gallons of gas with you, and run her dry once, and you'll know for sure where empty is! :lol:

Probably wouldn't seriously recommend doing that though (at least not more than once). Bad for the fuel pump, and not really the smartest / safest thing to do either.

My lumina doesn't have a low fuel light which kinda sucks. It has the red mark near empty. That's how I know how low I am. I got used to my previous vehicles with a low fuel light, but I try my best not to run it down that low becuase I just replaced my gas tank and i'm not trying to change the fuel pump anytime soon.

captain obvious to the rescue LOL

mine comes on at 1/8 is that where the yellow is?

have you ever ran it onto the red?

I didn't even know I had one. Mine must not work.

your car illuminates the "check gauges" indicator. so do all other analog UB3 (full guage) 92-94 cutlass clusters.

captain obvious to the rescue LOL

mine comes on at 1/8 is that where the yellow is?

have you ever ran it onto the red?

I didn't even know I had one. Mine must not work.

your car illuminates the "check gauges" indicator. so do all other analog UB3 (full guage) 92-94 cutlass clusters.

Thanks, learned something I did not know today.

I would say it sounds like a cluster issue, the gauge test on startup just tests the lamps and gauges, but there could be a bad solder joint in the cluster that triggers the light to come on when needed

I always fill up at half tank and I reset the trip meter when I do. That way, there's always at least half a tank in the GP should I need it, and if the fuel gauge fails I have a back-up.

A surprising amount of the time traffic jams here will be caused by someone running out of gas. I can't help but laugh at them when it happens. :lol: