1.9 rockers

jaws92286

I have a 2001 grand prix gtp and i have a 3.5 pulley, cone filter, and a 1.0 intense pcm. I am wondering if I will be able to run 1.9 rockers without doing the valve springs. I am hoping to do ported heads this summer and would change the springs then.

What could possibly happen by running stock springs?

I have a 2001 grand prix gtp and i have a 3.5 pulley, cone filter, and a 1.0 intense pcm. I am wondering if I will be able to run 1.9 rockers without doing the valve springs. I am hoping to do ported heads this summer and would change the springs then.

What could possibly happen by running stock springs?

You should have no problems at all. Just stick with the 3.5 pulley until you get headers on there.

any tips on doing them?

I've personally only done them on a Series 1 3800, which was a piece of cake once you get the valve covers off. I believe the kit for the Series 2 comes with replacement pushrods, so past that I don't believe there's much to worry about.

You should replace the valve cover gaskets while you're at it, as they are very prone to leaking. Be careful with tightening the valve covers back on as you shouldn't overtighten them. Instructions you get should include the torque specs for the rockers. I read the instructions for the Series 2 since ZZP brilliantly sent me those for my Series 1 rockers. Nothing difficult at all.

if you go with the modified stock rockers to achieve 1.9, then you'll be fine. If you are going for the roller rockers, you need to upgrade to 105lb springs.

also, read these.

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/articles1.php?id=35

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/articles1.php?id=53

I never changed my springs and haven't had one problem. I put my 1.9 rollers on at 110k or so and I'm at 175k with no problems. I bought the rockers used as well. New rocker bolts and valve cover gaskets is all you need.

You can run 1.9's with stock springs perfictly fine. Just do not have anyone set the shifpoints higher than 6000rpm. You need at least the 90# LS6 springs to safely go higher than 6K rpm.