1.5 gen struts on 1 gen

Mach 5

Is it possible to put 1.5 gen rear struts on a 1st gen w-body? 95-99 monte to an 89 grand prix. It looks like it would work just swapping the upper mounts to the 1st gens complementing them with a nice set of intrax lowering springs.

-Jarek

why bother when coilovers are better and pretty cheap.

I would imagine that you could get some pretty cheap rear struts from a 1.5 gen monte from a junkyard. Once you have those, I believe you can find a complete front and rear seat of Eibach lowered springs fairly cheap. The whole kit would lower your whole car and may cost you less than rear coilovers.

I already have coilovers in the rear and springs from the 1.5's(Intrax) on the front but Im gonna need struts soon and the coils give a harsh ride. I figured I can match the rates better with a matched set of springs and would look pretty factory. I happened to have a car up on the lift the other day and it looked similar to the 1st gens except for the upper mount. Im going to see I can find me a used set so I can see if the will fit. This car is going to be sitting for a while as I blew the motor and Im swapping a 284 in. If I find anything out I will let everyone know.

-Jarek

I'm 99% sure that 1.5 gen rear struts / springs will NOT fit a gen 1 car due to there not being enough room for the coil-over spring in the Gen 1 strut tower.

Someone on clubgp did all the work necessary to use the 1.5 rear suspension on a 1st gen, but I'm not sure if he ever actually drove the car afterwards. I can't think of his username, but he used to be an active poster a few years back in the 88-96 section there. The car was a 91-93 Grand Prix if I remember correctly. It either was white in color w/ black B4U cladding or the other way around.

^ Yep.Theres a guy in illinois that did it. Brian is his real name, hes got a blue GP with a L67. IK it was TONS of work, and last i saw/talked to him ( Mid summer) it still wasnt set up right

ok. That makes sense though so i guess the advantages are just not worth it. Well what rates of springs for the coilovers is everyone running? I got 250 and its a pretty hard ride w/ the addco bar possibly too hard

ok. That makes sense though so i guess the advantages are just not worth it. Well what rates of springs for the coilovers is everyone running? I got 250 and its a pretty hard ride w/ the addco bar possibly too hard

I have 300lb springs and no complaints at all, and i have back problems from a previous accident.

Maybe try 175lb springs??

^ Yep.Theres a guy in illinois that did it. Brian is his real name, hes got a blue GP with a L67. IK it was TONS of work, and last i saw/talked to him ( Mid summer) it still wasnt set up right

That's gotta be "BrianG," I didn't know HE had done this swap. The person I mentioned is someone different. Brian G. would probably remember who it was as he used to post at the same time the other guy was around on CGP.

EDIT: TopendGTP95(Brandon) is the guy I'm thinking of. :wink:

I'm running 300Lb springs with GR2's as well, I have 350LB springs in the front. When I get around to redoing my set up the 350's will be on the back and I will be getting a set of 400s for the front... harsh yes, handle like its on glue, hell yes!

Jamie

ive seen a set of those progressive rate springs available I believe it was 125-475 or something along those lines on summit. What do you think about that?