Rear strut/mount replacement on '90 Lumina Euro

vtirocz

I don't have any pictures but most new rear struts will include a long bolt that you can put down through the hole in the top of the aux spring mount that will compress it down while you r/r struts. I don't know off hand how long or what thread it is supposed to be.

Kent-Moore also made a special clamp for the job, but finding/buying one of them may not make sense if you want it done fast.

OR alternatively, you could just throw the aux spring away as many cars never had them in the first place and most people who removed them claim to have never noticed them not there.

before you remove the old strut so it stays down while you work. and be careful while working around it, if the bolt were to let go and your face was above it, bad things would happen.

OK, i assume you have the aux spring thats cylinder shape since its a 90, the other type is the figure 8 rubber aux spring.

In order to install it, with the struts disconnected from the upper mount (Safety first) position the aux spring in the holder and move the strut into position, you may need some help with this.

see my webpage for pics of the rear strut replacement.

http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~ployola/W-body/album/Rear%20Suspension/index.html

100-0008_IMG_2.JPG

I used a giant C clamp to hold the aux spring in place while I removed the strut. After I removed the two bolts I stood back and let it pop off as the C clamp doesn't hold it steady. It doesn't spring out hard at all, just a little pop. To reinstall, I compressed the spring in a vise and used some wire to hold it compressed. After I reinstalled the strut, I cut the wire and the spring went back into place.

3.jpg

I unbolt the rear lateral link while using a floor jack to lift and support the end of the link, once the bolt is loose I let the jack lower and remove the spring. I then reinstall the bolt and lateral link to keep the rest of the suspension 100% hooked up.

to reinstall, I have everything else completed, and then unbolt the lateral link. I use a heavy duty ratchet strap tied around the spindle assembly/strut and to the center of the axle assembly. I stick the spring in position, then I raise the lateral link with the jack until the bolt has reached the same height as the bolt hole, and use the ratchet strap to move the strut inward until the hole is aligned, botl it up and lower the jack... done!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. I checked and it looks like my '90 Lumina Euro does not have an aux spring (not sure if this is good or bad really from a performance standpoint), which should make the shock replacement easier.

One more question: The "how to" says to use a jack to raise the leaf spring out of the knuckle. Why not just use the jack to support under the knuckle/hub assembly, which would also support the spring? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

One more question: The "how to" says to use a jack to raise the leaf spring out of the knuckle. Why not just use the jack to support under the knuckle/hub assembly, which would also support the spring? Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

I do it by the knuckle, as you describe.

Whats the purpose of that spring anyways? I dont even think I put mine back on when I did my rear suspension...

I put mine back the first time I changed the rear shocks, and removed it completely the second time, and noticed absolutely no difference.

Whats the purpose of that spring anyways? I dont even think I put mine back on when I did my rear suspension...

I put mine back the first time I changed the rear shocks, and removed it completely the second time, and noticed absolutely no difference.

exactly, thats why I left mine out. I never understood the reason for it being there.

Thanks for all the advice!! This forum is great.

The only issue I ran into is when installing the shock mount onto the shock. The nut torque is ~73ft-lb, but the internal hex (6mm) in the rod could not support this... so I got it as close as I could. Then installed the old nut on top of the new nut after it was torqued down and tightened that one to 73 lb-ft.

Install is done.

Thanks,