Sony head unit in Oldsmobile Intrigue

RZB1992

So I'm looking to install one of these head units into my 01 Intrigue. I haven't had any experience yet installing aftermarket radios, so just wanted some help and advice...

I know I need an antenna adapter and the special housing for the radio, but do they make a harness (one side clips on to factory harness end, and the other into the Sony head unit? so I don't have to clip any of my wires)???? Or will I have to cut my wires regardless?

Is Sony a good brand for a head unit?? I'm looking at these two. One that's cheaper is my second choice b/c no bluetooth- and I really want that so I can transfer songs from my mp3 player wirelessly, but $60 difference. And btw, anyone know if the sound quality is better or worse between bluetooth and aux port??

When I go to use my mp3 player, I just don't want to have to be blasting the radio to get it mid level in volume.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+Xplod+52W+x+4+Apple%26%23174%3B+iPod%26%23174%3B/HD+Radio/Satellite+Radio-Ready+In-Dash+Deck/9448403.p?id=1218112724696&skuId=9448403

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+50W+x+4+In-Dash+CD+Deck/9202542.p?id=1218057726915&skuId=9202542

DO NOT install a single DIN radio in a double DIN hole. Look for Double DIN HUs of GTFO!

Kenwood CD players are junk for the most part. Pioneer or DIAF. And there are a lot of decent Pioneers for less than $200. It won't look THAT bad.

DO NOT install a single DIN radio in a double DIN hole. Look for Double DIN HUs of GTFO!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://cdn2.overstock.com/images/products/P10521039.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Kenwood-Double-Din-CD-MP3-WMA-Car-Stereo/2266658/product.html&usg=__jn5O_W-tzHaBaklyCkUnn110zpw=&h=300&w=250&sz=19&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=03qpzOHI2URDOM:&tbnh=116&tbnw=97&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dkenwood%2Bdouble%2Bdin%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

I had this unit in mine before someone stole and I loved it' date=' it was also a perfect fit ! I got pics of it in my car if you wanna see!

[/quote']

Does this have a aux input plug? Says it does but I don't see one. And yeah if you have them handy can you pm them to me?

Kenwood has cleaner sound than Pioneer, so bang for the buck, im with Rob

Pioneer's newer stereos do not have the noise issue, I know what you're talking about but that is no longer relevant. And Kenwood doesn't even give you a midrange control, nor does it allow you to select your EQ centers, nor does it allow you to use a highpass/lowpass filter to route all the bass to the rear speakers should you wish. Pioneer head units from $150 (probably lower) up do. Sorry, Kenwoods FAIL in customization.

And you're talking to someone who has a decent Kenwood deck in his car. I still want a Pioneer, but just don't have the time to fuck with it.

I had a Pioneer Premier 980BT... Wasnt cheap either. And yes, noisy. Grounding the chassis made it a bit better. After that I bought a Eclipse CD5423 used. It sounded much much better.

And yeah, my buddy had a 980BT also, we had to ground that one too. Im actually quite sensitive to noise and SQ.

But for 99% of people, they couldnt tell the sound quality difference from a extremely high end HU compared to a $80 Walmart special

But for 99% of people, they couldnt tell the sound quality difference from a extremely high end HU compared to a $80 Walmart special

Add the fact that driving your car inherently creates a butt ton of noise simply by driving, it not worth having a discussion about the minute differences about how one head unit sounds compared to another.

i only use jvc and soundstream never had any problems with either as long as u stay away from the ones that are 89.00 and lower my lumina has a jvc can't remember the model number just know that it is a hd receiver . my gtp has this radio and i fucking love it.

Add the fact that driving your car inherently creates a butt ton of noise simply by driving, it not worth having a discussion about the minute differences about how one head unit sounds compared to another.

ha ha, you're funny.

irregardless of whether it is the head unit or speakers that you replace, the sound difference can be felt by many people... but not everyone. I have a friend that likes to max out the bass and treble and his stereo (stock base 02 GP) sounds like wet poop in a paper bag. If you are looking for the din and noise over sound quality, like him, then the idea of discussing head units does nothing for you.

I wouldnt recommend sony. The Pioneer DEH-P5100UB is really nice.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-J5vaGMVRudt/p_130P5100UB/Pioneer-DEH-P5100UB.html

This has front and rear usb hookups for your ipod, mp3 player, flash drive, etc. It will charge your ipod and you control the ipod through the radio itself. It will also sound WAY better then it would through a aux in. Aux in SUCKS. This thing also has three lines of text so its easy to find songs. Plus it has subwoofer control and a very nice eq. We sell this radio and my work and its usually the first one i show customers.

Pre 2006 Eclipse or bust

TRUTH! I have a CD5425> Awesome radio, it would read any cd no matter how scratched they were. Its just sitting in my toolbox collecting dust now. I dont have the harness for it anymore and i cant play my ipod through it.

This has front and rear usb hookups for your ipod, mp3 player, flash drive, etc. It will charge your ipod and you control the ipod through the radio itself. It will also sound WAY better then it would through a aux in. Aux in SUCKS. This thing also has three lines of text so its easy to find songs. Plus it has subwoofer control and a very nice eq. We sell this radio and my work and its usually the first one i show customers.

Pre 2006 Eclipse or bust

TRUTH! I have a CD5425> Awesome radio, it would read any cd no matter how scratched they were. Its just sitting in my toolbox collecting dust now. I dont have the harness for it anymore and i cant play my ipod through it.

Wanna sell it??? Post some pics and a price.

Been looking for a double DIN but haven't found too many I like so far... This Pioneer with the link is one I was looking at that I really liked, the only thing I worried about on the pioneers is the thin volume knob - seems like it would break easily. And the usb was something else I wanted to know. When I use my mp3 player (not sure if it'll even play music through usb), I don't want to have to blast it to hear it, I want it to have good sound... Anyone know any way of finding out if the usb from a samsung mp3 player will play through the usb of the radio? besides trying it at the store...

Been looking for a double DIN but haven't found too many I like so far... This Pioneer with the link is one I was looking at that I really liked, the only thing I worried about on the pioneers is the thin volume knob - seems like it would break easily. And the usb was something else I wanted to know. When I use my mp3 player (not sure if it'll even play music through usb), I don't want to have to blast it to hear it, I want it to have good sound... Anyone know any way of finding out if the usb from a samsung mp3 player will play through the usb of the radio? besides trying it at the store...

The knobs are pretty sturdy. Not sure how it would break. A direct USB hookup is the best way to go for decent sound quality. Your mp3 player should work fine. You can plug in pretty much anything usb to the radios.

This has front and rear usb hookups for your ipod' date=' mp3 player, flash drive, etc. It will charge your ipod and you control the ipod through the radio itself. It will also sound WAY better then it would through a aux in. Aux in SUCKS. This thing also has three lines of text so its easy to find songs. Plus it has subwoofer control and a very nice eq. We sell this radio and my work and its usually the first one i show customers.

Pre 2006 Eclipse or bust

Wanna sell it??? Post some pics and a price.

Possibly. I really like the radio but i kinda doubt ill use it again. Ill take some pics tommorrow. It works 100% when i last had it in a car. Unfortunately i left the harness in the car when i sold it and ive been unable to locate one, but i think they come up on ebay sometimes. I can get the harness for any other major brand radio through my work, but not for a eclipse.

Does this have a aux input plug? Says it does but I don't see one. And yeah if you have them handy can you pm them to me?

Doesn't look like it, but I also couldn't find where it said it had one in its description...

I am also with John on this one for Pioneer... Their stuff has been pretty good to me... I've installed Pioneer decks for several of my friends, and they've all been extremely happy with them... I do have a bit of bias though, as the one Kenwood I've had experience with sounded like ass, but the Dodge Intrepid it was installed in may have had something to do with that... Other Kenwoods may sound super, I just haven't run across anyone else with a Kenwood deck...

My personal favorite decks were the pre-Sony Aiwa decks... They sounded great, and they lasted forever... My sister had one in her cougar, and I had one in the LTZ... After Sony bought them when they went bankrupt, everything they made went to shit, but the pre-03ish stuff is good... But it's highly doubtful you'd want to put a 7+ year old cd player in your car.. :lol: