3rd Brake light malfunction

94 olds vert

Well, my dad noticed one of my bulbs was out my 3rd brake light.

Removed it and found out I was missing the middle bulb and there are holes from the plastic melting.

The middle one didn't melt through because there was no bulb there.

Is this a common problem?

I was hopping to get one from the junkyard that is in better shape.

I also will need to pick up new plugs for the bulbs mine are really corroded.

Here is the issue. Someone installed the taller 904 bulb in the place of the 194 smaller bulb.

I see that all the time. I mean seriously like 100 a year. It melts a hole in the top of the lense and water gets in.

Our clip lights on our busses at my job have the same issue. I have replaced tons of clip lamp units because of that issue :frown:

also as bulbs get used for a long period of time they create more resistance, therefore they get hotter and tend to even swell

Probably had the wrong wattage bulb in there. When you replace it make sure to get the correct bulb, or replace it with LED replacements.

Thanks

I will make sure I got the right one. I will see how much Led lights are to replace them.

I will get a brake light from the junkyard, hopefully its in better shape them mine.

NO! 194 bulbs are the blade type bulbs and are NOT used in that housing. the proper bulbs ARE the mini halogen bulbs, typical of all Ws with top of the window highmount stoplights that use the same bulb.

This is a common problem with that housing... someone should be shot. Here is what I would do: route out and enlarge the holes, and make a new hole where one isn't. Use FOIL HVAC tape and run it across the housing bottom to seal the holes and add a reflector. install and forget about it.

I fully intend to start making LED conversions for that housing in the future.

THIS IS ALSO VERT SPECIFIC...

Got one that was in really good condition.

If you make led conversions, I would be on that list really quick.

I'm going to take the bulbs I pulled out from the junkyard brake light, since it didn't melt that, and buy those at the store.

Those bulbs are expensive. Went to a local place and it was 10 bucks a bulb.

Went to advanced they charged 7 bucks a bulb and only had one.

I really only needed one anyway.

I come home take it out of the package and the glass was chipped. Then the little metal connector fell out. FML

He did return it with out my receipt though.