(edited, now:) Car does not want to start/ poor power

dkorinko

I was drove to school this morning in my car and everything was normal, when i go out to leave the car does not start on the first crank, not a big deal but a little weird since it has EVERY time up until now. As soon as i start to move i can tell something is wrong, my boost is acting weird and i feel like i am drving a 8000 pound car. I get out on the main road and the car is still chugging so i just floor, some black smoke comes out as the car is hesitating and then everything comes back and i get thrown back in my seat. I did this a few times to make sure it would do the same thing and it did, each time it would chug for about 2 seconds and then the boost would come and throw me back like it always does..oh and i forgot, the Service Engine soon light has been on the whole time...so i pull over to see if there is anything that is obviously wrong with the car and there is nothing, no loose lines or anything, so i am wondering....what the hell is going on??? Can anyone help me??? And the car had a ruff idle the whole time too......

First sorry I edited your Topic (and deleted your repeat). If you take a look at the Suggested Posting info in the new Sticky at the top of the Forum, you will see it is suggested to use a Topic with meaning, which is going to be more helpful for you getting help, and for anyone else (like you) coming to the board in the future looking for help on the same topic. You will get the hang of things 8) .

As for a hard start and rich/rough idle, check the fuel pressure regulator, it has to hold a vacuum, when it doesn’t, the engine will run rich and cause the sorts of problems you have indicated well, but when you are boosted, cleans out and pull most the time (THOUGH, it can run lean as well, not good :shock: !!).

Jeff M

Umm, regulator tool, new one on me. Actually if you just get a 12 inch long piece of vacuum line that is the only tool you need. Look at the top of the throttle body where all the vacuum lines are (4 of them). Follow the one that is closest to you down and just under the upper intake manifold, there you will find a rubber “Tâ€Â, pull it off the FPR and attach your vacuum hose to the port on the FPR, suck on it, gas/does not hold a vacuum, replace it!! When you replace the FPR, the upper intake manifold has to come off, that is the best time to ohm out the injectors as the stock ones/any Multecs made prior to 1993, are known to fail, and again, ANY Multec not just the ones on the TGP and TSTE. Don’t forget to plug the original vacuum line back in when you are dont testing.

Jeff M

Is there any kind of special tool that i need to check the pressure??? Or can i do it myself with just regular tools??? Let me know.

The thread on the fuel pressure rail is a -4 AN fitting, which stands for Army/Navy 7/16-20 thread. Most GM fuel injected cars use the same fitting so if you know someone with a GM car and a fuel pressure gauge ask to borrow it. Otherwise, just do what Jeff M. suggested and check the vacuum line coming off of the fuel pressure regular to ensure that there isn't gas in the line. :)