New TGP Owner

Nyshadow

Here is something interesting. My car is ready according to the Dealer but the Driver's Door Handle Broke according to the Service Advisor. He said he can't even order them, is this a common issue on these cars for the Door Handles to Break?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nyshadow

• Garrett Powered

• mfewtrail

• Addicted2bass

is this a common issue on these cars for the Door Handles to Break?

unfortunately, yes it is common on the coupes, but they shouldn't be too hard to find on some junkyard cars...

Looks to be in good shape besides the paint. The red paint on these cars fades pretty badly, i just got mine repainted this spring. The ABS light could be either a bad accumulator or a bad master cylinder. Very common problem on these cars and also can get expensive if you need a new master cylinder. Tranny mounts are also pretty common to go. Good luck with the car and enjoy it!

thanks Guys, i've seen a Whole bunch of Door Handles on Ebay, also doesn't look too difficult to swap out either. Also took it to a local Boady shop, they said it wasn't in too bad shape and the paint job wouldn't be too much, so in a week or two i'll get it painted. :D

And Of Course I will Post Pictures.

Here is something interesting. My car is ready according to the Dealer but the Driver's Door Handle Broke according to the Service Advisor. He said he can't even order them, is this a common issue on these cars for the Door Handles to Break?

oh my god no!

the door handle should not break under any normal use unless abused.

they come out of adjustment and are EASILY adjusted. every one of these cars I have owned have been out of adjustment and it took me 5 minutes to fix it each time. amazing how people are clueless about this aspect of these cars.

Turns out that the Handle that broke was a aftermarket and was previously replaced. The Handle split in two pieces, so looks like poor quality on the handle. The dealer says he can't order them anymore, where would be a good place to get good quality replacement GM parts? GM Parts Direct?

• 2 weeks later...

So My TGP IDLES real rough, i'm thinking becasue it was sitting for a while it needed a good tune up, so i look under the hood and notice the Back 3 Spark plugs look almost impossible to get to with out pulling off the Intake Manifold. So i drop the TGP off to a local shop and they tell me it's going to be $656.50 for a tune up. Thats new Coil Packs, New Spark Plugs, new Wires. First though was WTF, i think thats way too high, for that money i'll do it my Self, How do you get to the Spark Plugs on the Back of the Engine, also where is a good place to get parts from? GM DIRECT? thanks guys.

As far as I've heard, Coils will either work or not.

Getting the spark plugs out is usually accomplished by unbolting the torque struts (dogbones) on the front of the engine and rotating the engine forward. I usually do this by pushing the car forward and sticking something behind the front wheels . There was just a thread about doing spark plugs:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=82879.0

and there is an FAQ writeup about how to rock the engine forward:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=39734.0

Next time try using the search function before asking.

As for getting parts, Its been said before in this thread, most members prefer to go to the junk yard and pull their own parts. There are only a few parts specific to the TGP, so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding anything else since W-Bodies seem to be the #1 thing in the junkyard.

If you wanna go online, GM Parts Direct seems a tiny bit expensive, but I have ordered from there before. They should be the same price as your local dealer's parts department and your dealer doesnt have to ship on top of that.

just realized I coulda just walked out to the driveway and grabbed the handle off my part car in the driveway and dropped it in the mail.

I forget its not as easy for some to find them in junkyards.

I got an awesome yard about 5 minute drive from here and get parts like that for $5 or free all the time. plus its good to have friends who work at the yard.

you were smart for not paying that money. I bet he would order the wrong plugs and and be completely clueless like most people who haven't done any research on tgp's. he is probably kneeling and praying right now that you come back with $656.50 and make him rich quick. most guys would like a leisurely afternoon making about $400 having fun mindlessly working on turbo cars. and if he does not include a brand new vacuum harness installed and 3 new AC Delco coil packs, then I would not consider it a tune-up anyway.

For parts, go with AC Delco plugs(R42LTS is the part number) and AC Delco plug wires(706R). The plugs can be found at any automotive parts chain for about $12-14 total. The wires might be a bit tougher to find at a local part store. If you can't find them locally(note that they should carry a LIFETIME warranty), http://www.rockauto.com has them for $35.79 + shipping. If you order from there, enter the following code in the "how did you hear about us" box when ordering: 23734991979227 . That code will give you 5% off the price.

As far as I've heard, Coils will either work or not.

Getting the spark plugs out is usually accomplished by unbolting the torque struts (dogbones) on the front of the engine and rotating the engine forward. I usually do this by pushing the car forward and sticking something behind the front wheels . There was just a thread about doing spark plugs:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=82879.0

and there is an FAQ writeup about how to rock the engine forward:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=39734.0

Next time try using the search function before asking.

As for getting parts, Its been said before in this thread, most members prefer to go to the junk yard and pull their own parts. There are only a few parts specific to the TGP, so you shouldnt have too much trouble finding anything else since W-Bodies seem to be the #1 thing in the junkyard.

If you wanna go online, GM Parts Direct seems a tiny bit expensive, but I have ordered from there before. They should be the same price as your local dealer's parts department and your dealer doesnt have to ship on top of that.

Thanks, and i wasn't sure where Search was, but i found it and it works great. :mrgreen:

• 8 months later...

So i did the tune up myself and saved a bunch of cash. So currently the car has new wires, new plugs, new coil packs, also a new ignition module as well. The first ignition module i purchased from advance auto caused more issues, it was a BWD brand, what a POS, once i put the AC Delco one on the car ran 50 times better. Also i replaced the injectors with the Ford Orange injectors to replace the original ones that were installed. Car seems to run pretty good accept there still seems to be a miss. Progress. :)

BWD Brand huh? I have just been using duralast from autozone. thats what I got in the tgp and its holding up. I just bought one for the 88 too after breaking down like 8 times over the last few days. I replaced all the coil packs and it was still breaking down in the heat of the day. so I took the ICM off and there was white powdery corrosion on the back of that metal plate. if it grounds to the block right there then that might have been the reason. I will be using a thin coat of dielectric grease on that surface just in case.

that is a nice looking engine bay. you may have a blown motor mount though. it looks a little wobbly. I could be wrong though if you already did the lower mount.

• 3 weeks later...

Well today i fixed the coolant leak and i went to test the IAC, when i turned the ignition on the spring part of the IAC shot out and flew across the garage. So i can assume it's bad. So i replaced it. So to date this all what has been done to my TGP.

1. New Belt and Tensioner

2. New Spark Plugs

3. New Wires

4. New Coil Packs

5. New Ignition Module

6. New Fuel Filter

7. New Injectors (Upgraded to Ford Yellow Tops)

8. New Battery

9. Fresh Oil Change, Full Synthetic.

10. New IAC valve.

11. New Battery.

So far so good. :)