painted my calipers today [added the decals]

jake91

not finished yet. i still have to put the awesome decals that 91luminaeuro made for me but here are a couple pics. sorry about the quality it was getting dark

[edit] while i had the rims off i also took the opportunity to clean the back side of them.

SDC11545-1.jpg

SDC11547.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• boulevard

• Crazy K

• slick

i bought a brush on kit so i just hand painted with no tape. it took me 4 hours but i took my time and also cleaned the inside of my wheels. if you have a good jack and impact wrench it would take you around 2 hours

It probably would have been a better idea to add the decals before the paint was 100% dry, so it would adhere into the tacky paint. Then clear-coat over the decals and paint.

It probably would have been a better idea to add the decals before the paint was 100% dry, so it would adhere into the tacky paint. Then clear-coat over the decals and paint.

i thought of that but the paint was dry within 5 minuits of brushing it on

That would of ruined the paint. The vinyl would of never adhered to tacky paint for it to come off of the backing tape it comes on.

A good clear would be VHT. It's good for high temperatures.

IMO, this is what you should of done.

When you ordered those vinyls, you should have removed the cut out letters from the vinyl sheet, not the surrounding vinyl. That way you could of applied the vinyl to the caliper and used it as a stencil. Paint over the removed lettering in white over the blue then removed the vinyl using a sharp razor blade to cut any stubborn paint. The vinyl really should have just been used as a stencil. I don't think those vinyls will last long. Most likely they will heat up, shrink and crack and then peel off. I say, within two weeks.

That would of ruined the paint. The vinyl would of never adhered to tacky paint for it to come off of the backing tape it comes on.

A good clear would be VHT. It's good for high temperatures.

IMO, this is what you should of done.

When you ordered those vinyls, you should have removed the cut out letters from the vinyl sheet, not the surrounding vinyl. That way you could of applied the vinyl to the caliper and used it as a stencil. Paint over the removed lettering in white over the blue then removed the vinyl using a sharp razor blade to cut any stubborn paint. The vinyl really should have just been used as a stencil. I don't think those vinyls will last long. Most likely they will heat up, shrink and crack and then peel off. I say, within two weeks.

Huh.... Seemed to work great for my Acura:

IMG_1254.jpg

calipersignature.jpg

I'm definitely surprised. Looks really good too. Looks like it works. Maybe the heat of the caliper some how bake that vinyl into the caliper paint. Good job.

bump on what paint type you used, and what prep work was needed?

oh my mistake i just went and looked and it was duplicolor and the only prep work needed was scrub the calipers with caliper cleaner