TGP Vids FIXED!!

PhatMpk

Here shown in this video the boost guage works for awhile then cuts off when the coolant light comes on. It is really struggling to make the car go at high speeds.

In these 3 videos it shows a little bit better view of how it struggles between 4 and 5k rpms.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PhatMpk

• Garrett Powered

• pontiac6ksteawd

• mfewtrail

Couple things come to mind..

Have you gotten the upgraded chip? Could just be the basic driveability problems that the TGP has.

Have you checked the injectors? The could be out of spec, and causing a flat line short in the bank, or both banks, depending on how many are bad.

The boost guage, that could be a couple things, either the wastegate is opening when it shouldnt, or, more than likely, the boost guage isnt working correctly, like mine.

I believe it has the stock chip but I am not sure if the previous owner swapped it out. I replaced one bad fuel injector awhile ago with a Gp-Sorensen from autozone, all the other injector were is there any way to test if it is shorting one of the banks?

Pulling the upper intake plenum, and OHM checking each one...

There is a way to tell if the chip has been upgraded or not, but one of the other TGP gurus would have to tell you how that is done.

definately sounds like fueling. Swap those 2 injectors, and while your at it, verify your fuel pressure is between 40-45 psi, as well as replace your fuel filter.

I ohmed out all mine but the ones that weren't right at 12 were less than 12. they were between 9 and 11.

not saying I wouldnt still swap those out.

do you have a different ecm, or eprom you could try, or have you tried that yet?

Let me tell you about bad injectors! My car had some real strange issues, it would start and run fine for about 20 seconds and die, I ohmed out the injectors and they were all in spec, so I pretty much thought they were good. WRONG! not until I put together a test rail/pump/gauge and driver and tested each one by spraying them into a bucket and watching the spray pattern could I consider them good. I had two that would just dribble and two that were leaking. Good luck, it is probably the injectors.

Let me tell you about bad injectors! My car had some real strange issues, it would start and run fine for about 20 seconds and die, I ohmed out the injectors and they were all in spec, so I pretty much thought they were good. WRONG! not until I put together a test rail/pump/gauge and driver and tested each one by spraying them into a bucket and watching the spray pattern could I consider them good. I had two that would just dribble and two that were leaking. Good luck, it is probably the injectors.

I wish I had one of those. I need to test a ton of tgp injectors.

Thanks fish I read your thread completely the other day. Going to test them maybe sometime next week. It still runs fine at low speeds, but at high speeds im guessin those are just streamin out fuel instead of a nice mist huh

Just looking over the info you guys have on the 3.1 McLaren Turbo's. I have an 89 GP McLaren that I've have for several years... haven't started it in two years now. It sits under cover in my garage with 7,100 miles on it and it still looks and smells brand new! Interesting to see there are some still around!

Jim

Oh yea, still around. Mine sits, much neglected, on the back porch at my house. But, it already looks like ass. Under the hood thou, screaming little meanie she is..

• 3 weeks later...

AC Delco, or a Delphi unit.

Still same problems? CPS (Crank Position Sensor), or ICM (Ignition Control Module). But thats all I can think of. I cant remember if a bad MAP would cause this problem..

• 2 weeks later...

Put the computer scanner back on today, no error codes, fuel pressure gauge is at 42 lbs while starting and while running has 34 lbs of pressure, still hesitates really bad at intersections, doesnt want to run at high speeds

those are not the injectors that people here recommend unless you know how to tune.

if you want to get back to running good before upgrades then get the yellow tops.

search function.

...Its been posted a million times, you will find it. I have never actually used them but everyone loves them that tried them.

Put the computer scanner back on today, no error codes, fuel pressure gauge is at 42 lbs while starting and while running has 34 lbs of pressure, still hesitates really bad at intersections, doesnt want to run at high speeds

Starting pressure looks fine, but the running pressure is low. That is, if your gauge is accurate...

gauge is accurate starts 44 lbs, 34 lbs while idling, and rises in conjunction with the throttle to about 42lbs at 3,000

Just for what it's worth...The pressure on my pump TGP(stock pump & regulator) is no lower than 40-41psi when idling. Key on/engine off, it's about 5-6psi higher than that.