J

I can see weight savings being more than you would think. I dont see a tubular control arm being much more than 10lbs if that. To put it in perspective, we put a whole cage in a honda civic hatch. The cage was 1 5/8" 120 wall tubing which is pretty heavy duty and it only added 83 lbs to the weight of the car. I think some 1" .151 wall should be plenty strong and lighter than you would think.

In regard to 1st gen w-bodies, I'll believe it when I see it.

Believe what? About the weight? Tubing isnt made of lead. Its not that heavy. If the OEM control arms really are 25lbs a piece then you will be saving alot of weight by going to tubular control arms.

Never picked one up. Im just going by what was said above.

It was a rhetoric assumption for the sake of comparison. I mentioned I'll believe it when I see it in regard to the production of such tubular control arms. The project has been talked about and discussed endlessly, and nobody has absolutely anything.

I think at the point the dream for tubular control arms is just that... a dream.

But lets get the discussion back on topic. I'd imagine the project should be fairly simplex. what are your thoughts on UD pulleys, Jay?

I think at the point the dream for tubular control arms is just that... a dream.

But lets get the discussion back on topic. I'd imagine the project should be fairly simplex. what are your thoughts on UD pulleys, Jay?

UD pulleys would be a great idea, just need one for a model. Anyone have one in the garage they can send me for a few weeks?

Jay,

What all machines and tools do they have access to? And what is/will be there ability?

I have a feeling that it will need to be something simple, so that the average high school moron could reproduce it. Putting the grooves in the pulley may be tougher than what they could do.

I think something mentioned before, strut mounts, or strut plates, would be much easier. Much less machining (and thinking involved), and something that doesn't have to be exact.

I know on the cutty one I had on my monte, the cutout sat right above the flange where the TB extention bolted to the UIM. Without it, the bar would have hit. The tubular one I made doesnt have a cutout, I just pushed it back closer to the firewall. It clears but just barely.

How about aluminum Coolant and Washer reservoirs to replace our goofy shaped factory ones. Have to trunk mount the battery to mount them.

I hate the factory washer fluid reservoir. Anything would be better than that.