Lets talk swaybars

3.1cutlass

Shiiiit, I definitely overcomplicated. I see the light. Andrei got to me with his midas touch.

Bob do you still have those 33mm ones??

No, I returned them and got the proper 34mm ones

I'd like to see a picture of a 10,000 mile old 'proper' 34mm bushing, with the inner diameter measured with a caliper, since the 2mm difference on a somewhat flexible bushing compared to the 1.25" bushing makes such a huge difference.

While we're at it, might as well tell adam and I that we're complete idiots since we squeezed through poly control arm bushings on the rear of the control arm that were about 2mm too big for the stock sleeve.

These are polyurethane, right? not steel, aluminum, copper, etc...

How much do these 34mm bushings sell for?

While we're at it, might as well tell adam and I that we're complete idiots since we squeezed through poly control arm bushings on the rear of the control arm that were about 2mm too big for the stock sleeve.

I am being retarded and not understanding what everyone else is saying or what? It seems like you are arguing me to agree with me.

Your statement is exactly what I'm getting at. Reducing compliance. Compressing a bushing will do exactly that. reduce compliance. Having a compressible bushing go into an application where there is a large interference fit (such as how you fit the control arm bushing in or a smaller sway bar bushing) is a very effective way to reduce compliance. Thats why i want a smaller one There is play between the sway bar and my bushing, even since I first installed it and I am not happy with it since I payed for bushings that I already had, but I wanted an upgrade and do not see an ill fitting bushing as an upgrade. and yes 80 thou is WAY OFF, even in a compressible bushing I'd be willing to bet it doubles the displacement of sway bar through the bushing hole. Thanks for doing that work for me. I knew it was off but never cared to do the calculation. Now i have a dimension to quote.

I am being retarded and not understanding what everyone else is saying or what? It seems like you are arguing me to agree with me.

Your statement is exactly what I'm getting at. Reducing compliance. Compressing a bushing will do exactly that. reduce compliance. Having a compressible bushing go into an application where there is a large interference fit (such as how you fit the control arm bushing in or a smaller sway bar bushing) is a very effective way to reduce compliance. Thats why i want a smaller one There is play between the sway bar and my bushing, even since I first installed it and I am not happy with it since I payed for bushings that I already had, but I wanted an upgrade and do not see an ill fitting bushing as an upgrade. and yes 80 thou is WAY OFF, even in a compressible bushing I'd be willing to bet it doubles the displacement of sway bar through the bushing hole. Thanks for doing that work for me. I knew it was off but never cared to do the calculation. Now i have a dimension to quote.

Maybe I misunderstood someone, but my responses were in regard to 1LoudCutty trying to find 34mm sway bar bushings.

Its not you I'm disagreeing with. I'm disagreeing with the people who insist on finding precise 34mm bushings to fit their 34mm sway bar. There are readily available options at your nearest retail auto store for on average $20 a pair, and I provided the sizes needed. Mine have held up perfectly fine (provided I greased them regularly) for the past 90k miles since I installed them. The inner bushings on the front sway bar are a bit worn, but what do you expect after 90k of hard abuse?

So yes, 1.25" and 7/8" sway bar bushings for our cars have a smaller ID than the sway bar and will do exactly what you want.

Andrei, my 34mm ES bushings were readily available. I bought them about 6 months ago from Autozone. They were actually a 2day order item now that I remember and cost $22.99 plus tax.

i believe the 95 3.4 gen 1.5 rear bar requires an altered track width. which is why it works perfectly on your CS, Bob. it is about 1 inch wider that the regular gen 1 bars, and wouild otherwise rub the struts...

Oh yeah, duh :lol:

How'd you alter the track width? I'd prefer the 1.5-gen bar since my Addco makes all kinds of clunking sounds if I have just one passenger in the back.

i believe the 95 3.4 gen 1.5 rear bar requires an altered track width. which is why it works perfectly on your CS, Bob. it is about 1 inch wider that the regular gen 1 bars, and wouild otherwise rub the struts...

Oh yeah, duh :lol:

How'd you alter the track width? I'd prefer the 1.5-gen bar since my Addco makes all kinds of clunking sounds if I have just one passenger in the back.

he has lateral links from a 04 impala on his car. they are argueably longer by about 1/2 inch, making the rear wheels 1 inch further apart.

he has lateral links from a 04 impala on his car. they are argueably longer by about 1/2 inch, making the rear wheels 1 inch further apart.

How does that bar fit a 1.5-gen which, if I recall correctly, has the same track width as a gen 1?

How does that bar fit a 1.5-gen which, if I recall correctly, has the same track width as a gen 1?

They also have wheels with a higher offset, do they not? I would also imagine hubs/knuckle/strut could be constructed differently.

They also have wheels with a higher offset, do they not? I would also imagine hubs/knuckle/strut could be constructed differently.

Yeah, gen 2's do. But I thought gen 1.5s had the same hubs and track as gen 1s. I know the links are slightly different and the knuckle is different (no spring perch), but other than that I thought they were the same. So it seems weird to me that a gen 1.5 sway bar is too wide by 1" for a gen 1.