Front end grind/ "groan" while stopping.

99screaminregal

Okay, this is pissing me off. I've had this noise coming outta my front for the few months I've owned my Cutty. It's intermittent when I brake,usually in the last ten feet.

I've replaced the hub bearings, Rt cv shaft (where it sounded & felt like it was coming from), the brake pads have a little more life left in them as do the rotors. Probably 1/8 in. left till the squealer hit the rotor.

My thoughts are, warped rotor or maybe glazed over.

Dunno. What y'all think?

Thanks

having well worn brake pads, even though not worn down to the indicator, can result in reduced performance.

as for warping.... if you get a pulsation in the pedal, or the wheel.... it is a good indication of being warped. This is often a felt most during a high speed brake application, like around 70 mph.

if they are not warped and not rusted up, get some heavy grit emery cloth (type of sand paper) and scrub the surface of the front rotors in a circular pattern to freshen them up.

Don;t forget they make stop squeal stuff for the back of the pads to the caliper to dampen movement and noise!

Don;t forget they make stop squeal stuff for the back of the pads to the caliper to dampen movement and noise!

I doubt that this is his issue. That is usually a high pitched squealing when braking lightly

As for brake pads, I just put a new set of ceramics up front on my 2000 regal, along with a new set of rotors and all i will say is I will NEVER go back to metallic or semi-metallic pads again. The brakes feel far better than they ever have and they are also nice and quiet and dust less than the others as well.

If you are buying new pads I'd just replace the rotors instead of trying to make them look better. They're like $20 each lol.

Speaking of that - I need to replace the Lumina's front rotors. I also need to disassemble the rear caliper slide pins, buff all the corrosion off the pin, hone out the caliper bore where the pin slides and grease the shit out of everything. I think they are seizing up lol. Thanks GM for putting aluminum in a steel bore with very poor lube/and poor mositure boots.