• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jake91

• AWeb80

• xtremerevolution

• IRONDOG442

get what you pay for.

I disagree there. I had awesome experiences with my Firehawk Indy 500's (according to other people who drove the car as well) under all conditions, and they were $85 each installed.

how many miles you get per a set?

50k, as an all season tire that did extremely well in the snow and ice, to the point where I used it on my regal to tow my fiance's mom's windstar up and down a few hills when it broke down.

get what you pay for.

Completely disagree. The Kumho Solus KH16's that I have on the cutlass were just under $100 a tire mounted and balanced when I bought them. They are way better than the bridgestones they replaced. The BFG Traction T/A's are pretty reasonable, and they perform better than the vast majority of tires.

hmmm i'm gona assume you are talking about a 15 inch wheel, thereby it will be cheaper then a 16 inch wheel. so i'll compare apples to oranges and put you at the advantage as I have 16s

I paid about $150 each for my hydroedges, and that is mounted and balanced

they are rated for 90k I know full well that they are capable of that, if not more.

you paid about $170 for 2 sets of smaller, cheaper tires to go about the same miles.

now if we were comparing the exact same size I imagine that difference would be greater.

that's based on the false assumption that treadwear is the only thing that matters. hell, I can get 150k on tires that are as hard as plastic, but that doesn't mean they'll be taking me anywhere when it snows.

If she is looking for bridgestones, have her check these out...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+G+019+Grid

They seem to be ranked fairly high. I'm looking into a set of these to replace the Eagle LS' on my Regal.

I really don't know what they would be like in snow, but seeing as how you live in arizona...I don't think that would be an issue.

those are very close to what we have now and they were good in the snow

that's based on the false assumption that treadwear is the only thing that matters. hell, I can get 150k on tires that are as hard as plastic, but that doesn't mean they'll be taking me anywhere when it snows.

I am also basing this on the fact that they hydroedges are great in all conditions, don't believe me, check the reviews. I was making that comparison under the assumption that they performed similar.

those hydroedges only help in rain. in colder climates, you need a softer compound, which won't get the same treadwear.

granted, if you never see weather below 50 degrees, it won't matter at all.

no. I drove them all last winter. performed excellent

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=HydroEdge

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

not saying the firestones are bad tires, look at the ratings/reviews yourself. the differences are negligible.

hmmm i'm gona assume you are talking about a 15 inch wheel, thereby it will be cheaper then a 16 inch wheel. so i'll compare apples to oranges and put you at the advantage as I have 16s

Wrong again Chris. The Kumho Solus KH16's I mentioned are mounted on the 16" cutty 5 spokes.

I was talking to xtreme, but you posted while I was typing my reply.

I know. I'm just in one of those moods today where I enjoy telling people they're wrong. It happens a lot in IT. :mrgreen:

well thanks for all the help guys. i have chosen (Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS Pole Position), and im going to go get them tommorow

no. I drove them all last winter. performed excellent

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=HydroEdge

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Firehawk+Indy+500

not saying the firestones are bad tires, look at the ratings/reviews yourself. the differences are negligible.

I stand corrected. They look like pretty damn good tires. I'm genuinely surprised. Why do they not make it in anything wider than 225?

The Michelin Pilot MXM4's I used on my regal for a while with the Acura RSX-S rims were great as well, but had terrible wear, were very uncomfortable, and extremely expensive ($200+ each).

My regal with the Firehawk Indy 500's stopped in less than HALF the distance that my fiance's Accord did, with the front tires being Michelins and the rears being Goodyear Eagle GT2's.

went and bought the tires today. i got the yokohamas and i did what ken said and saved myself $30 each for a total of $600 mounted and balenced

went and bought the tires today. i got the yokohamas and i did what ken said and saved myself $30 each for a total of $600 mounted and balenced

Ouch. :eek: That's steep.

My 18's for the Bonneville are going to cost me $500 mounted and installed, and for high rated BFGoodrich tires at that.

not really that steep i dont think. our last ones were $650. tires are expensive

Not by what I'm seeing over on tirerack.com, and considering you can get them mounted and balanced for $50, I don't see how you could possibly need to spend $150 a tire mounted and balanced.

Obviously the tires are on the car so there's no point going on with this, but which tires did you get exactly?

the tire was $143 itself, and they arnt on the car yet they had to be ordered. i got the yokohama avids they were 96 on tire rack, and 143 at discount he discountedthem to the price of tireracks plus shipping wich was 115. so 115+tax and mounting and balenceing is $150 each

Tirerack is only good if you are getting the tires installed for free. Otherwise every shopped charges you out the ass for 4 tires removed and 4 tires mounted/balanced. However if you buy the tires from them, with their markup (above tirerack prices) they give you a break (or free) on installation.

I have done the shop once, and negotiated a good price, and the second time I ordered from tirerack and had the dealership agree to mount/balance for free as part of the agreement when I purchased the 06