Buck's OMFG trip thread... coolant issues... Oil?

Night Fury

So my car is having a hard time keeping cool.

Coolant flush and new thermostat about 10,000 ago

I took the radiator cap off this morning to find a gooey chunky mess, and my oil was at the bottom of the crosshatch part of the dipstick.

DIAGNOSE!!!

Safe to drive?

Any signs while driving that coolant is getting into oil?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Night Fury

• stevegasm

• Crazy K

• xtremerevolution

i suggested going to a car parts store, see if you can borrow some tools, take the tstat and "breaking it" so it stays open. buy an extra radiator cap and remove the lower seal from your current one so you will run a no pressure coolant system which will prevent coolant from getting into the oil or where ever under pressure. you will have to keep checking, and top things off as needed.

since you are in a HOT area, you should get plenty of water and some antifreeze in case you have to top it off, or if you break down...

p.s. watch for both fluid loss from the oil and tranny, either can leak into the cooling system.

it is critical that coolant not get into the engine or tranny, if either leaks fluid into the cooling system, it will do less damage.

I got here fine. Engine temp was over the middle dash ALL DAY..... Until right on the coast when the ambient temp dropped to about 65.

God it's SO annoying atching it creep up and up and up and up....

So what gasket is it?

Well, the cap wasn't terrible, and the coolant is still 'orange' when you shine a flashlight through it, BUT there is a nice thick layer of sludge coating the inside neck of the radiator, and presumably the rest of the cooling system......

so...just me thinking aloud, but would anyone recommend adding more water to the system for more cooling power (temporarily just to keep the temps as low as possible on the return trip?)

no. yes.. wait, what??? adding more water makes the coolant cool more?!?!?????? :lol:

seriously, if you add more fluid, you should put in the proper coolant mixture.

Buck, just keep cleaning the neck out and maybe the leak might not be a major issue? if you hadn't checked the cap in a long time, it might just be oily sludge from the last 10,000 miles.

Well I was just thinking that because water cools more than coolant, maybe he could fill whatever he has lost with straight water in an attempt to keep temps as low as possible. :dunno:

Well I was just thinking that because water cools more than coolant, maybe he could fill whatever he has lost with straight water in an attempt to keep temps as low as possible. :dunno:

it may... with bad side affects

I haven't lost anything

Does the engine smell like its a burning coolant smell or something... plus is your fan even coming on?

Fans do come on, I'm sure they're tired after yesterday, temp was over halfway mark for almost the whole trip which means the fans *should've* been on. For like at least 8 hours straight :lol:

No burning smells. Except of brake pads coming down the mountain, but I think that was just the general smell of the area, not so much me.

And you didn't tell me? D:

:buddy:

My mom is way gay about stopping for reasons other than hers. D:

<3 Maybe if I have issues on the way there. Whereabouts do you live?