need l67 in a 91 lumina- lumina racer dream thread, all of his posts go here

lumina racer

This engine war pissing match will stop right now. No exceptions.

I don't see why you are so adverse to swapping around engine harnesses, these are some of the smallest / most simple ones I have worked with.

3400 should bolt right in and you should be able to use your stock harness, you might have to talk to Ben at http://www.60degreev6.com for a custom chip to run it.

the 3.4 DOHC, most important question, how willing are you to learn and work on it? if the answer to that is no, then this is not the engine for you.

Series II 3800s (NA and SC) can get you good power, but will require wiring to make it work properly, and a different transmission. Many have been down this road and it isan't too hard to get the wiring sorted out so I'm told.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lumina racer

• RobertISaar

• Crazy K

• jeremy

Why the obsession with OBD1? Its shitty!

its also amazingly simple...

This engine war pissing match will stop right now. No exceptions.

ok, i'll shut up about it

as far as wiring goes, i can get diagrams if you need them.

Going from OBD 2 to OBD 1 is like swapping from a high def plasma TV to a black and white antenna TV

never had obd2, couldn't compare... had 1.5, above drove me up a wall, but everything is simpler now...

and i have a feeling if this turns into another pissing match, the banstick might make an appearance...

So is the wiring in a lumina muti-piece parts on either side of the firewall or do I change the whole thing as 1 peice I like the 3.8 supercharged engine but my trans is damn near new auto but I what a manual how hard is that to change? Would I need to change harnesses then or keep the same one? Or would it be cheeper to just buy a z34 and supercharge it? I would trade some one my trans for a manual.

ok lets start with some simple questions...

1 - what is your mechanical background/ will you be doing the work ?

2 - what is your budget?

3 - is this your daily driver?

4 - what are your long term goals with the car?

I have rebuiilt lots of ford trucks but never a gm I have 4000max to finish everything im doing with my lumina I want a fast ass car. I could never have too much power. My motto is more power the better.

I have rebuiilt lots of ford trucks but never a gm I have 4000max to finish everything im doing with my lumina I want a fast ass car. I could never have too much power. My motto is more power the better.

4000 < "fast ass car"

4k will get you somewhere, but i wouldn't call it that fast. maybe low 14s i don't know.

I guess the definition of "fast ass car" and the OP's engine knowledge and fab skills are the two biggest questions. I know there's a corsica on the 60* board that ran a 12.9 with a somewhat built 3400 turbo. I'm not sure what his budget was, but if you have the ability/capability to weld, I'd go turbo 3400 with a manual.

Of course, I'm biased.

my goals 200whp n/a. Ima try to keep it under 1500. Doing all work myself, besides having a set of 3x00 heads done I think its a reasonable goal... kk maybe 2k.. :lol:

So is the wiring in a lumina muti-piece parts on either side of the firewall or do I change the whole thing as 1 peice I like the 3.8 supercharged engine but my trans is damn near new auto but I what a manual how hard is that to change? Would I need to change harnesses then or keep the same one? Or would it be cheeper to just buy a z34 and supercharge it? I would trade some one my trans for a manual.

If your asking how hard, then you probably should just leave everything alone. Especially if your even just scared of doing wiring. That's the easy stuff.

so will a subframe for a 3800 II supercharged motor and trans fit in a base model 2 dr lumina? i found its the same body as the first gen z34. what w body had a supercharged 3800 II with a manual if any? i want it as easy as i can, if i can just unbolt a subframe assy(enginge and trans) and direct bolt in to my lumina that wound be cool beans. im doing all the work myself (my brother might help havent asked yet) out side in my driveway with basic hand tools. do i need to cut and weld brackets or what am i facing to do this swap.

i not scared i just dont want to get over my head. if i need a pro to do it it wont happen. i want to do it i just need so education on these w body cars sense i have been a ford boy til i got this lumina and fell in love with chevy again

so will a subframe for a 3800 II supercharged motor and trans fit in a base model 2 dr lumina? i found its the same body as the first gen z34. what w body had a supercharged 3800 II with a manual if any? i want it as easy as i can, if i can just unbolt a subframe assy(enginge and trans) and direct bolt in to my lumina that wound be cool beans. im doing all the work myself (my brother might help havent asked yet) out side in my driveway with basic hand tools. do i need to cut and weld brackets or what am i facing to do this swap.

no, the subframes are not interchangeable.

Swapping in the 3800 SC will require custom made brackets and I believe you need to make your own engine mounts... The 3800 was never available in a manual...

robertisaar dude the one I had for my ciera was pretty good, I still gotta get one for my gp. At least it gives you some kind a clue where to look for things and some procedures.

Swapping in the 3800 SC will require custom made brackets and I believe you need to make your own engine mounts... The 3800 was never available in a manual...

Tiss a shame it never was hooked to a 5 speed...I think cars with the 3800 would have had more of a performance rep. if they had been offered in a manual trans.

I think you can use the engine amounts and brackets from a 3800 regal, as long as you have the 91+ subframe?

GM never mated the 3.8 and manual transmission, but people have. the oil filter is obstructed by the transmission tailshaft(and or bracket???) and needs a proper remote locator.

robertisaar dude the one I had for my ciera was pretty good, I still gotta get one for my gp. At least it gives you some kind a clue where to look for things and some procedures.

i speak from experience:

1 for the monte

1 for the GP

1 for the IROC-Z28 i had

THEY'RE ALL THE EXACT SAME BOOK

about the only differences between them is when they start in with the specifications. and even then, w-body is a more reliable source.

so is there a manual trans that can mate to a 3800 sc and handle the abuse it will take from modding it and fit into a 1st gen lumina? please chime in i dont know gm.

so is there a manual trans that can mate to a 3800 sc and handle the abuse it will take from modding it and fit into a 1st gen lumina? please chime in i dont know gm.

talk to Kuntzie, he would know, he just did it... well turbo 3.8, but same issues.