need l67 in a 91 lumina- lumina racer dream thread, all of his posts go here

lumina racer

can i put a 3.4 litre out of a z 34 into a 2 door base model with out swapping wiring? my 3.1 died and i need more POWER. so anyone know?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lumina racer

• RobertISaar

• Crazy K

• jeremy

No. You will need to deal with wiring to get it to run correctly.

Actually, you can, if both are obd1. You will have to move some of the electrical connectors around a bit. In fact, the lq1 CAN run on the 3.1 computer, but it ain't pretty.

No. You will need to deal with wiring to get it to run correctly.

Actually, you can, if both are obd1. You will have to move some of the electrical connectors around a bit. In fact, the lq1 CAN run on the 3.1 computer, but it ain't pretty.

I think you are incorrect and correct both:

the 93 3.1 with 4t60e uses the same PCM as 91-93 LQ1 cars.

to stick an LQ1 in you pretty much need the complete wiring and drivetrain from an LQ1 car.

What year/make/model car do you have?

Ask Pat, he's done it.

He was able to retain the stock 3.1 harness, moved some connectors around.

However, now that I think about it, he may have had a 3100 1gen Lumina.

You'd have to ask him to see what he did exactly.

Ask Pat, he's done it.

he used a 93 3.1 4t60e harness, IIRC.

Ask Pat, he's done it.

he used a 93 3.1 4t60e harness, IIRC.

That'd have to be it.

But to get back on topic, we need to know the year of your current car.

:confused: :confused:what is a lq1? I don't know much about gm cars. But I love my lumina so im doing everything I can to keep it going and and making her better.

So what siaze is a L67? I don't know sizes from letters and numbers I know them by litres. So act like im stupid and tell me them in litres please.thanks

its the supercharged version of the 3.8 liter, makes 240hp/ and i think 280TQ.

i hate the damn thing, but see for yourself, and i'm sure other members will chime in.

yeah, the swap has been done many, many, many times, but the L67 is definitely the best bang for the buck swap out there.....they are pretty damn cheap, definitely have a plentiful aftermarket, the swap is pretty easy and straight forward.....and are very reliable on top of all that

i hate the damn thing, but see for yourself, and i'm sure other members will chime in.

why do you hate it?? is it a case of sour grapes because your beat up ghetto ride is stuck with the LIM gasket eating 3100?

yeah, the swap has been done many, many, many times, but the L67 is definitely the best bang for the buck swap out there.....they are pretty damn cheap, definitely have a plentiful aftermarket, the swap is pretty easy and straight forward.....and are very reliable on top of all that

why do you hate it?? is it a case of sour grapes because your beat up ghetto ride is stuck with the LIM gasket eating 3100?

I don't see why you feel the need to insult people when their views are different than yours.

I'm sure it has something to do with the car fires.

I don't see why you feel the need to insult people when their views are different than yours.

for the record, I didn't insult anyone....I asked why he has hates the engine as he gave no reasons whatsoever, stated my theory as to why he hated it which was based on and included factual information as reflected in his signature... :shrug:

i have yet to replace that gasket, and after 186,000 miles, i'm amazed.

why do i hate it:

the exhaust sounds like absolute ass, unless you either have a ridiculous cam or a very carefully chosen/overly quiet exhaust. then again sound is subjective, so what i may hate, others may love. there's a reason why autozone still sells fart cannons.

its a 90* V6, therefore inherently off balance, yes i know, there's some kind of counterweight or something like that, but to me, thats a band-aid approach to something that should have been corrected when engineering the damn thing.

iron heads...... i'll let that speak for itself.

that whole BBQ issue, which GM came up with a "fix" for, yet it fixed the issue of oil leaking on the exhaust or whatever was causing the fires by having it leak somewhere else...:facepalm:

what else..................... i'm not going to make any shots specificly at the NA version since thats not exactly what we're talking about.

and its not my damn fault as to why the car looks like shit now, i blame the fucking deer that likes to lay in the ditch and jump in front of cars as they go by. i hope its still alive, suffering somewhere.

and i'm expecting someone to be ragging on the 3100, so i'll say this: the 3800 had a good run, but it was replaced for good reason, its been outdated.

EDIT: Y'ALL POST TOO FUCKING FAST!

I think someone needs to do an ls4 swap. :mrgreen:

NOW that is something i can pull for, unfortunately LS4's are still tough to find in junkyards, not to mention i'm not sure how easily it will fit in a 1st gen engine bay...

a northstar would unfortunately have the same problem with fitment with about the same power output, but would be much easier to find, and have a much stronger tranny as well.

that whole BBQ issue, which GM came up with a "fix" for, yet it fixed the issue of oil leaking on the exhaust or whatever was causing the fires by having it leak somewhere else...:facepalm:

not sure what you mean here...... the recall on the L67 actually replaced the leaking gasket

I will definitely agree the the 3800s ran their course and were due to be replaced, but even so ....do you have any better bang for buck engine swap suggestions for the original poster?

not sure what you mean here...... the recall on the L67 actually replaced the leaking gasket

I will definitely agree the the 3800s ran their course and were due to be replaced, but even so ....do you have any better bang for buck engine swap suggestions for the original poster?

no, but i never said i did. and i thought the l67 recall involved a "tray" to reroute the oil away from the exhaust? or was that for the N/A version?

i just don't like the L67 chant going on here, sounds too much like clubGP... i'll admit, for the power to price ratio, its tough if not impossible to beat... for now. eventually there will be something that will surpass it. me, i like the 60* motors, they're compact, have an exhaust tone that very few don't like, and are very smooth. that's why i'm liking the 3900 and WILL have one eventually. 240/240 stock are good numbers for me. if only i could run it with obd1 and keep them, i'm sure the VVT has at least something to do with those numbers...

So a new question what engine will give me the biggest bang that I don't have to change the wiring harness. Supercharged sounds good oil fires don't.