Big Tranny Problems

dkorinko

My tranny slips going into 2nd and then the whole car shakes really bad if you dont let off the gas and let it go into 3rd, i was just wondering if anyone has had their tranny rebuilt and how much it costs???

ok here is the lo down

1500-1800 if the tranny is in the car at a shop

500-1000 if you pull it and take it to a shop

i can only say to get a good estiment is to call a few shops near you

Make sure they understand its a turbo car. My brother had a problem with taking his car to a trans shop after explaining to them over the phone. When it got there the price went up $600. Then after trying to start on it, they said they wouldn't work on it.

Chris

Man they would not even work on it??? bastards! I will call around and check out prices for sure. I mean, this is a must do, I would be willing to bet I will drop .5-.8 of a second off my 1/4 when i get my tranny fixed...Its that bad :cry:

so you got a shift kit too??? I want to do that to, did it help at all??? That is a pretty good price, I would do it for 1500 for sure.

It was a stock type shift kit. I did ask if a performance type one could be installed; the mechanic said he didn't know of any for this trans. He did say that the one he used was an improvement over the stock setup however. I guess that there aren't many FWD enthusiasts around here since he gave a funny look every time I asked about a performance upgrade. He said that usually people with those kind of cars don't want to feel the transmission shift. Well, I do! Although it did shift slightly firmer than stock, I did take it back once. The mechanic "bumped up the line pressure". It was a very slight improvement. The 1-2 shift is still a little sloppy in my opinion - he said a different spring could be installed in the valve body. I haven't messed with that yet.

Overall the rebuild seems to be an improvement over it's performance before it broke. The one thing I am unhappy with, though, is the torque converter. Read my reply in: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7029&start=15

Well I dont want to have any problems, and i am looking for more performance then the stock tranny. Not a lot, but maybe just a little. Hopefully the mechanic i take it to will be a little more understanding then yours, it sounds like since your car was front wheel drive he didnt really want to work with you all that much, I hate people like that. :evil: