FIXED! Primary Cooling Fan

Addicted To Boost

UPDATE:

Earlier in the week, I used the scans Jay sent, and started checking the car.. I ohmed all my fuses and relays in the fuse box on the passenger fender and found the 30 Amp fuse at the top of the box was blown, as indicated in the flow chart on the service manual scans. I replaced it, jumped the ALDL port with a paperclip... and no go. Fan didn't work.

I flushed out my cooling system again today and got the rest of the crap out (actually there wasn't much, but with the Prestone cleaner, it did take some more crap out of the cooling system and turned the water slightly murky.)

After I flushed the system, cleaned my overflow tank, cleaned the T-stat, and refilled everything, I thought I would throw a paperclip in my ALDL ports and see if my fan would work... and it decided to fire up! :lol:

It was squeaking and rattling bad though, I pulled the fan and the shaft was wobbling, so the bearings on that motor were clearly shot. I swapped in the fan motor I picked up last weekend from the JY, its out of a GP with 68k on it. I jumped the ALDL ports again, and voila! My fans both work!

But it doesn't end here.... when I got back home, I let the car idle and get up to an indicated 220* on the gauge... and my fan isn't turning on. I can jump the ALDL port and they will both turn on, but they aren't turning on when the car is running... What could be the deal here?

Buddy I am in the same damn boat as you, I can manually jump the fans to get them to come on, but they wont come on while the car is running. I spent half the day reading wiring schematics and chasing wires and I think Im more confused as when I started LOL. So for now I have them wired to a switch in case the car starts running hot.

Buddy I am in the same damn boat as you, I can manually jump the fans to get them to come on, but they wont come on while the car is running. I spent half the day reading wiring schematics and chasing wires and I think Im more confused as when I started LOL. So for now I have them wired to a switch in case the car starts running hot.

beat me to it. i was just going to say "you could do this and end your problems"

http://w-body.com/upgrades/manualfancontrol.html

beat me to it. i was just going to say "you could do this and end your problems"

http://w-body.com/upgrades/manualfancontrol.html

I want it to work properly without me having to manually turn it on. It worked at one time, so I know it is possible!

primary fan is triggered by a temp sending unit. unless this sender is reading correctly the fan will not turn on by itself. i think it is the one right by the therm housing.

I picked up a Temp sender(?) today, it is the two-wire unit that is in the T-stat housing. Is this the correct one I should be replacing? Or should I be replacing the one-wire unit that threads into the rear cylinder head?

the single wire sender is for the guage and the 2 wire sender is for the computer(fans). hope it solves your problem,assuming your fans and relays are good.

Yes, my fans and relays are all good. I can now go inside the car and jump the ALDL port with a paperclip and both fans will turn on. Right now if I let the car sit and get up to an indicated 220*, at least one fan should turn on, and neither of them do, so I'm hoping this sensor is the culprit.

Thanks for the help. :thumb:

Right now if I let the car sit and get up to an indicated 220

is this what the temp guage in the car says, or on a scanner. because we thought my moms fans were not working in her grand am. because the guage would say 200-220, and the fans wouldnt turn on . so we hooked a scanner up to it and let i run, and they turned on at 220 but the guage in the car indicated 240-260. maybe this could be your problem

The car usually operates around an indicated 150*, so it is quite a bit warmer at 220* and should definitely turn one fan on by then. During the summer months, both of my TGP fans are on almost constantly at operating temperature.

I just swapped out the old Coolant Temp Sensor for a new one, and my fans are still not turning on. The fans are however turning on when I jump the ALDL port, so they do indeed work.

Any other ideas?

went back and reread the entire post again today.does your secondary fan turn on with th a/c? recheck all your fuses don't skip over any! some fuses act as masters for a row of fuses. and lastly find the wire coming from the computer, the one that turns on the relay, and see if it switching hot at the computer

My AC doesn't work. If I pull the AC relay on the pass fender fusebox and jump the pins, the compressor will turn on. The fans do turn on if you jump the ALDL port with a paperclip.

It works! I swapped in the new temp sensor, reset the ECM, ohmed every fuse and relay in the car, and swapped in a new 195* t-stat. I let it idle until it got up to temp, and just before the temp needle gets to the mark above 220* is when the cooling fan kicks on. So my temp gauge may be off a bit. I have a buddy here with a scanner, so we'll have to plug it in soon and see what it is actually running at.

Anyway, problem solved, thanks for the help guys! :high5: