New Lumina Mod!

89SupremeCutty

Here's a bit of a write up on the wiring for the consoles.

The 1996,1997 Blazer/Jimmy only have 6 wires for the console connector. The only wires are: Yellow, black/white, dark green/white, light green/black, grey and brown. There are 4 other wires that go with the console and they are for the lighting. Those wires are: White, yellow, orange and black.

The 1998+ Blazer/Jimmy and the 1997+ Venture/Montana will have 9 wires for the connector if it's equipped with the trip computer. The trip computer and fuel economy stuff weren't available in the older vehicles.

There are some wire differences between the Blazers and the GM minivans, but they still use the same 9 pin connector.

The difference between the 6 wire and 9 wire is that the 9 wire has the trip odometer, fuel used, average fuel economy and instant fuel economy, along with compass and temp, where as the 6 wire has only compass and temp. The '98+ Blazers had the option of not getting the trip computer so from '98+ The 6 wire connector had changed wire colors.

the 6 wire one is as follows:(taken from a '96 Blazer.)

Pin# Wire Color Description

5 YEL Accessory - Fused

6 BLK/WHT Ground

7 DKGRN/WHT VSS

8 LTGRN/BLK Outside Air Temp Signal

9 GRY Instrument Panel Feed

10 BRN Park Lamp Feed

9 pin connector:(taken from a '98 Venture)

7 YEL Fused Accessory

8 BLK Ground

9 DKGRN VSS

10 LTGRN/BLK Air Temp Sensor

11 GRY Interior Lamp Dim Signal

12 GRY/BLK Parklamp Switch output - Parklamps on

13 YEL Fuel Level Input

14 ORN Fused Battery Feed

15 TAN UART Serial Data Connection

The differences in wires between the minivans and the Blazers are:

7 DKGRN Fused Ignition

8 BLK/WHT Ground

12 PPL/WHT Parklamps on - BCM output (could also go to the switch just like the venture?)

13 NOT USED N/A

15 YEL Class 2 Communication Bus

So it's possible to have all the fuel economy stuff and trip stuff without using a BCM like the Chryslers do. The UART and the Class 2 Communication Bus are on the W-body cars after '97.Those 2 wires are located at the OBDII connector. At least in my '98 Lumina they are there and I believe that they're in other W's as well. The 96 W's don't have the UART wire. They do, however, have a Class 1 and Class 2, so be careful.

There is a 4 wire connector in the 96 Blazers that are used for the dome lights.

A WHT Curtesy lamp output

B YEL Accessory Fused

C ORN Battery Fused

D BLK Ground

I hope all this info was helpful.

Looks good dude! Was that thing cheao from M&M? I have a compass mirror for my Buick but i need the wiring for it. Id also like to get something for the TGP that has temp, my Buick has it built right into the climate controls. Pretty cool.

Looks good dude! Was that thing cheao from M&M? I have a compass mirror for my Buick but i need the wiring for it. Id also like to get something for the TGP that has temp, my Buick has it built right into the climate controls. Pretty cool.

thanks man! yea it was cheap from them. it was $10. i also have a compass mirror but i have the wiring. do you need the connector that goes into the mirror? let me know i might have that for you.

Yea its the connector that goes to my mirror. It came out of my buddys 95 park ave but i forgot to grab the wire before the scrapped it. Its probably fairly universal though i would think. Im gonna replace the mirror anyways, its developed a mystery rattle, very annoying and the auto dimming stopped working.

I like that. I got one right now from a 98 GP without the electronics. I'm almost wanting to get one from though just for the Fuel economy and stuff like that. I need to get me a new headliner first and then this is my next thing to do so i can have lights in the front of my car again.

• 2 weeks later...

i went to the j/y today again and found a '97 jimmy with the 9 wire connector and got the overhead computer out of it. so next week i will see if i can finally get a trip computer and fuel stuff going in the lumina. it will be easy since the old one will just pop out and the new one will go right into its place and there's only a wire or 2 that i will have to run from the console to the dashboard area.