New Lumina Mod!

89SupremeCutty

i just installed the overhead console i got from a chevy blazer last week, into the lumina. i have pics but they are crappy. i will get better ones tomorrow cause i ran out of daylight.

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0070.jpg

it wasn't that hard to install just time consuming.

the only problem now is the compass is inaccurate, which i still have to reset and the temp is reading 140*f all the time. i think the vss wire got loose on me.

i cut the headliner cause i thought that there was going to be clearence issues around the main dome light area on the console. i traced the holes from the headliner from a blazer and cut them. the front of the headliner has to be cut for part of the wiring.

how does the wiring hook up? I have a simpler one with just map lights, it's only 3 wires. I'm guessing one's power, one's ground, and another one is switched for the door or something, i'm not sure. :willynilly:

Looks good in your car though!

how does the wiring hook up? I have a simpler one with just map lights, it's only 3 wires. I'm guessing one's power, one's ground, and another one is switched for the door or something, i'm not sure. :willynilly:

Looks good in your car though!

the wiring is pretty easy. there's only 6 wires for this one. well 6 for the console connector. if you happen to get one from a '97+ montana/venture or 98+ blazer/jimmy there will be 9 wires.

Looking good now im thinking of putting one in my lumina. can yo post how you wired it please

yea i can do a write up on it. just give me some time to do so cause i gotta retrace my steps lol. i do have some pics of the installation. i'll try to have a write up done by tonight for it.

looks nice but what does the vss wire have to do with the temperature reading 140*. usually the reason why the temp reads 140* is because of a bad temp sensor or incorrect wiring

I think that's neat. Like others, I have liked the idea/ in the process of adding accessories and options that the car didn't originally come with. I actually took the overhead console outta the GP I'm parting out and put it in my '92. Its charcoal and gray in color, so it works with the lumina multi-gray color interior

looks nice but what does the vss wire have to do with the temperature reading 140*. usually the reason why the temp reads 140* is because of a bad temp sensor or incorrect wiring

Because when the car is in motion it gives a false reading from the heat under the hood.

My van is continuously about 10* higher than the actual temp...But oddly, my CSs were always dead on balls accurate.

incorrect wiring would read 'SC' on the console meaning short circuit. i do have another temp sensor im gonna try. the console takes a reading every so often at certain speeds (about every 15 seconds at 55mph.) as to not be inaccurate, which is why it needs the vss wire.

Because when the car is in motion it gives a false reading from the heat under the hood.

My van is continuously about 10* higher than the actual temp...But oddly, my CSs were always dead on balls accurate.

that too.

I'm putting one in my truck soon... Wiring will be fun. lol I'm just going to wire the DIC into my van and put the temp/compass from the van in the truck.

I almost picked one of those up last weekend while I was at the yard, but I put it back because I really didnt want to have to cut my headliner. Plus with me already having a DIC and Compass rear view mirror, the display from the blazer up there would be unnecessary.

I think you reset the compass by driving around in a circle 3 times in a parking lor or wherever you can do 3 complete circles. Thats how my mom had to set her compass in her Grand Caravan when she 1st got it. The manual said 3 circles.... and it worked perfict after thart.

I think you reset the compass by driving around in a circle 3 times in a parking lor or wherever you can do 3 complete circles. Thats how my mom had to set her compass in her Grand Caravan when she 1st got it. The manual said 3 circles.... and it worked perfict after thart.

yea it's the same. i did that last night and the compass works correctly.

I almost picked one of those up last weekend while I was at the yard, but I put it back because I really didnt want to have to cut my headliner. Plus with me already having a DIC and Compass rear view mirror, the display from the blazer up there would be unnecessary.

yea if you already have something like that it's useless. i did get a mirror a few weeks back but it was just the compass and not the temp/compass. i didn't want to cut mine either or at least without a template. i had put the template on ther a bit to the left towards the rear and cut the headliner, but the console sits right where it should, so i have a small gap towards the middle.

Hey pretty cool. I noticed when I was looking at them that the cloth that rims around the side could easliy be replaced to match whatever vehicle it was going into...in my case I would just go back to Jo-anne fabric and pick up some of the same grey shit I used to redo my headliner. The side trim seemed to be removable, making it possible to re-skin it.

So you must have to pull the temp sensor out of the doner vehicle, yeah?

Like I said before, this "mod" gets two thumbs up from me. Definitely a summer project this year.

Looks good. I love extra junk. I wanted to put one in my Lumina, but now the car is needing a bit of money to get back rolling.

I wonder if my car has a compass, it does temperature. I should probably look hehe.

Hey pretty cool. I noticed when I was looking at them that the cloth that rims around the side could easliy be replaced to match whatever vehicle it was going into...in my case I would just go back to Jo-anne fabric and pick up some of the same grey shit I used to redo my headliner. The side trim seemed to be removable, making it possible to re-skin it.

So you must have to pull the temp sensor out of the doner vehicle, yeah?

Like I said before, this "mod" gets two thumbs up from me. Definitely a summer project this year.

thanks for the compliment! :mrgreen:

it's possible to re-skin it, at least i think so. the blazer i pulled it from had the same color interior and i didn't think of that when i pulled the console lol.

yea i would pull the temp sensor from the donor vehicle as long as it wasn't in a collision. the 2 temp sensors i pulled weren't from the donor which, i didn't even realize till now, that i should have gotten. the ones i got were from cars that were in wrecks and not necessarily front end collisions.