<--(-_-)--$ Little help please

SrMichi

Well i have a 94 lumina and recently i put in a manual control switch for the fan. so here's my problem when i turn on my fan it feels like someone is sucking the electricity from my car. for example i would turn it on and the rpms drop,everything dims and the voltmeter drops. all of that happens like in one sec. i notice this happening last year during the summer. i would be driving and i would turn my ac on and somethings the car would turn off of just stumble and recover. other times i would drive a bit and when i would get to a red light and start going again the car would stumble (without using ac). another time it really hot outside and i was going up hill and the fan turned on and the car backfired. then winter came and everything was okay since it was cold. but now after putting in that switch in the secondary fan (by accident meant to put it in the primary) and nothing happening but turning on the fan,i know problem is in my primary fan :evil:

It is, mine in my gp got so bad that it burned the relay up, the fuse, and shut my car off while i was going 30mph down the rd. I put a fan out of my parts car in it, and it is now starting to draw more then it should to snapp on,but it came out of a car with 225k on it so i'm suprised it has lasted the 2 years it has.

• 2 weeks later...

are you switching the relay itself on and off or are you just switching the ground itself, if it is only affecting your car when you turn the fan on then it has to be in the fan wiring. most of these relays have a ground,direct power in,direct power out,and some kind of switching lead that turns the relay on and off. way better set up if you are contolling the relay itself with the switch you wired in. from your description there is a short somewhere. do you have a multimeter, and do you know how to use it? and if your relay works and your fans work then why not replace the temperature sender for the fans and have them work right, sounds like that is why they won't kick on in the first place via a factory setup. depending on how you are switching your fans on and where you are grabbing power from to do it you may be drawing to much juice from another important function. fans should be issolated in their wiring. i post so much because i don't want to miss anything that could be a simple fix for you.

i got the car a year ago. i had no problems with the fan since i got it in January. when spring came i had to fix my ac system i got a new compressors and everything was fine until one day the car turned off. first thing that popped into my head was the compressors so i started asking a few mechanics i know and no one could tell me what was wrong with it. all i knew that it would only happen when the ac was on. time past and it started to get cooler so i deiced to deal with the problem next year. so early this year i joined w-body and saw how i could turn on my fans manually so i did. and realized it was my fan that was messed up. i would turned it on and the car would ether turn off or try to turn off. then i bought a new motor and I'm still having the same problem. the fan does turn on before it gets to 220 but the car does tries to turn off. if I'm accelerating the car will backfire. i also notice if the fan is already spinning then nothing happens only happens when it starts.

where would i located this temperature sender for the fans?

it's a 2 wire sensor located at the thermostat housing

Oh lol i changed the sensor twice already. I'M going to lean towards the wires from the first fan. i changed the relay so i could control the second and it turns on without a problem.

i need help with the multimeter and how i would use in this case.

man most days i don't have much time but i thought about this a little more today you deffinately have a short. where? i'm not sure.you're car has 2 fans, one of which you replaced(the secondary fan right?) recheck all of your fuses first. are any blown? if so which ones. and just to be sure jump both fans and verify that they are both working properly.

man most days i don't have much time but i thought about this a little more today you deffinately have a short. where? i'm not sure.you're car has 2 fans, one of which you replaced(the secondary fan right?) recheck all of your fuses first. are any blown? if so which ones. and just to be sure jump both fans and verify that they are both working properly.

i replace the primary fan motor, i also changed the relay. ill check all the fuses tomorrow (i was busy working on my aunts Malibu today). i accidentally put the manual set up with the secondary fan and i did not even notice it turning on so i thought my problem was solve by changing the motor but then realized i had hooked it up to the wrong fan. :frown:

:facepalm: i hate working with anything electrical

man i feel for you bro, electrical is a PITA even when the vehicle is right in front of you let alone trying to diagnose a short over the internet. at this point i would probally start at the fan and trace the wiring by hand and eye back through the whole harness looking for bald wiring, burnt and corroded terminals and such. this can be very pain staking especially if your patience is thin already. ? does the car still act up even when the fan(fans) are not plugged up

It almost sounds like a grounding issue. Something with a bad ground has alot more resistance. Putting a new motor in fixed mine right away. If you bought the motor from a parts store I would take it back and get another, some one may have just did a good job of cleaning up a bad one and returned it to get there money back. I work at a parts store and people try that mess all the time. I'm good at catching it but some of the newer people have a hard time spoting parts that where used but cleaned up really well. One of their favorites is to return plug wires, with the only one they needed missing out of the box.

man i feel for you bro, electrical is a PITA even when the vehicle is right in front of you let alone trying to diagnose a short over the internet. at this point i would probally start at the fan and trace the wiring by hand and eye back through the whole harness looking for bald wiring, burnt and corroded terminals and such. this can be very pain staking especially if your patience is thin already. ? does the car still act up even when the fan(fans) are not plugged up

:flamingdevil: Dam that is going to suck so much i think they go into the bunch of wires that are all taped up and run to the fuse box on the passenger side. the bad thing is that i don't have time to undo the whole enchilada because i have to work on sat and have to drive to Georgia on Sunday and ill be back on the 25. So i guess ill have to wait till Sunday. Today was warm enough and the primary fan kicked on and the speedometer jumped like in the video.

It almost sounds like a grounding issue. Something with a bad ground has alot more resistance. Putting a new motor in fixed mine right away. If you bought the motor from a parts store I would take it back and get another, some one may have just did a good job of cleaning up a bad one and returned it to get there money back. I work at a parts store and people try that mess all the time. I'm good at catching it but some of the newer people have a hard time spoting parts that where used but cleaned up really well. One of their favorites is to return plug wires, with the only one they needed missing out of the box.

Where could i find the ground that corresponds with the primary fan? The fan i got was from auto zone Siemens made it and it was brand new i even had to grind the edges down a tad because it would not fit in the bracket

most of the grounds meet at the bell housing bolt right behind the starter from there they go to the battery and the frame. all of them need to be good. the grounds are easy to trace. you could jump the ground from the fan to the battery ground to see if it makes a difference. i include bad grounds in my deffinition of shorts

most of the grounds meet at the bell housing bolt right behind the starter from there they go to the battery and the frame. all of them need to be good. the grounds are easy to trace. you could jump the ground from the fan to the battery ground to see if it makes a difference. i include bad grounds in my deffinition of shorts

i guess ill try to check all the grounds before taking apart that nice bundle of wires apart to trace the fan wires. i try to check on sat afternoon if i have time if not it will have to wait till next Sunday when i come back from Georgia.

• 2 weeks later...

well after my trip to Georgia is was freaking hot back in jersey. so Sunday i had to pick up an old relative so i need my ac. i decided to leave the primary fan running and turned on my ac. then out of no where the speedometer started to move like up to 90mph then i turned of my ac and the needle dropped to around 50 then i turned off the fan and it dropped back down to 0. im going to start pulling out my hair :mad:

http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f154/apothecary04/?action=view&current=MOV00404.flv

I also found a wire that looked to be cut it was above the brake booster. I don't have a clue on what or where does it go i just repaired it.

DSC00406.jpg

DSC00407.jpg

Well After not been able to work on my car on sat i was kinda piss since i still did not find the problem with my car. But Before i went out for the night i decided to take another look while the engine was cold so i started to pull wires here and there and found the a ground that was attached to the trans case was really loose. so i fixed it and i hope it fixed my problems. ill be sure once it starts to get warmer again

also, how do your power wires look? i'm referring to alternator, battery to aux terminal, battery ground to block, battery to chassis, battery to starter.

also, how do your power wires look? i'm referring to alternator, battery to aux terminal, battery ground to block, battery to chassis, battery to starter.

All the wires look good only one that i found damage was the one in the pic and i think it got cut from the alarm horn that someone put there. :facepalm: