Rack reduction surgery

GOT2B GM

Also, on the topic of the bare-back, it's almost as if you're copying some guy, I forget his name, but he's really anxious about people "stealing" his ideas!

I'm not going bareback... I have a spoiler going on :razz:

Jamie

Not the last time I saw the car. There was just tape over holes.

Come to think of it. Matt, your trunk sucks, I like the tape look better.

Breakdown Breakdown Breakdown... so young in the w-body community. If you'd done your homework you would of found that before you joined I got an ebay spoiler and just haven't had time to install it... Now that I have a trunk lid with no holes I have started modifying the ebay spoiler to work better with the lines of the car. There are only 2 of us with this spoiler. It was sold way back when the GPs were new and the company went under in the mid 90's.

Here is what the company intended it to look like

CIMG3275-red.jpg

Here is where it sits after an hour with a dremel tool

CIMG5633.jpg

Its a little less than half the size now. I wasn't a fan of the wrap around look. It looks too much like a Euro (no offense you Euro owners, that look just wasn't meant for a GP)

Jamie

Do you have more pics of it in modified form?

Mine?

No, I haven't done the side parts yet, they are going to be the hard part... You can count on me having a couple threads in the next couple months, I have several projects on the go...

Jamie

I click on this thread thinking we would get pics of boobies, with befor and after shots of how they have been reduced.. What a disapointment... LOL

looks good

Breakdown Breakdown Breakdown... so young in the w-body community. If you'd done your homework you would of found that before you joined I got an ebay spoiler and just haven't had time to install it.

Jamie

Jamie,

I think that you over-estimate the amount of free time that I have!

I need some chick like that Clowie one (spelling??) from 24. She can find intelligence for me on all of this stuff, and even when she's in the other room or under me in the bed, I'll still phone her because those phones sound so cool!!

The only thing that will be different from the show 24, is that we'll chase the bad guys in Grand Prix's and not stupid Tauruses', man did that piss me off!!

Yeah I figured finding a rackless trunk lid would be easier and more cost efficient than filling the dozen holes and repainting.

I started alignment by aligning the bolt heads with where the unpainted circles (from the original bolting location on the donor car) were on the new trunk lid. Tighten 2 trunk bolts, the top one on one side and the bottom of the other.

Closed trunk, noticed it need shifting sideways. Opened trunk, gave it a couple sideways bumps (only the 2 diagonally opposite bolts tight allow it to "pivot")

Closed again looked good from an alignment standpoint. Tightened all bolts

Next I needed to align the latch a bit. Loosened the 2 latch bolts and adjusted. Was still catching just a bit for my liking, so I gave the latch hoop (the metal loop on the rear trunk wall) a whack or 2 with a hammer. (believe it ot not, this is how they do final door alignments at the factory brand new)

Fits like new.

Also swapped out the lock cylinder, which requires drilling two 3/16 rivets out, removing a U shaped retainer, and the cylinder pulls right out. Reinstall cylinder and retainer and rivet back in.

Here is what the company intended it to look like

CIMG3275-red.jpg

Jamie

now you know that spoiler came off the olds 442 package from the early 90s....i saw one at the local yard awhile back and thought of you......

Yeah I figured finding a rackless trunk lid would be easier and more cost efficient than filling the dozen holes and repainting.

I started alignment by aligning the bolt heads with where the unpainted circles (from the original bolting location on the donor car) were on the new trunk lid. Tighten 2 trunk bolts, the top one on one side and the bottom of the other.

Closed trunk, noticed it need shifting sideways. Opened trunk, gave it a couple sideways bumps (only the 2 diagonally opposite bolts tight allow it to "pivot")

Closed again looked good from an alignment standpoint. Tightened all bolts

Next I needed to align the latch a bit. Loosened the 2 latch bolts and adjusted. Was still catching just a bit for my liking, so I gave the latch hoop (the metal loop on the rear trunk wall) a whack or 2 with a hammer. (believe it ot not, this is how they do final door alignments at the factory brand new)

Fits like new.

Also swapped out the lock cylinder, which requires drilling two 3/16 rivets out, removing a U shaped retainer, and the cylinder pulls right out. Reinstall cylinder and retainer and rivet back in.

I tried replacing the trunklid on my '88.

What did you use it to"bump?" I didn't know the latch and the metal hoop needs adjusting too.

The wiring was another issue. How did you go about fishing it through the inside of the lid?

The reason I ask is because I have a rust free spoilerless trunklid I want to replace on the GP. I'm assuming that to replace rivets you need a rivet gun right?

The palm of my hand. I didn't have to 2 bolts overly tight, just tight enough to keep it from moving all over the place.

I was able to just push the wiring through, I found there was enough access holes along the way that I was able to guide it where it had to go.

You need a rivet gun yes, but GP trunks may be different, I know that CS and Lumi ones are riveted in though.