92 Cutlass Conv. need help replacing speakers

ckf102

Hi guys,

I need some help replacing the speakers in my Cutlass......

I think I only have a 4 speaker system, but i am not 100% sure. For now I would like to keep the stock HU just to keep things simple, but the speakers sound like crap. Can you please take a look at the car and give me a recommendation for replacements that keep the original speaker grills, not expensive, and so I only have to remove the dash once......I am just looking for a short term solution so I can have something half way decent for the next year or so. I got a few other things that need fixed now and I need tires.

I would appreciate the help guys!

thanks,

C

http://s596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/savemaker61/?start=0

Yep, I don't see any speaker grilles on the doors so you only have the 4-speaker system.

4" in the dash and I'm almost certain they're 5.25" in the rear, they are in my 94 and I don't think they changed the rear speakers in 94. Stick to those OEM sizes and they should fit behind the factory grilles.

Yep, I don't see any speaker grilles on the doors so you only have the 4-speaker system.

4" in the dash and I'm almost certain they're 5.25" in the rear, they are in my 94 and I don't think they changed the rear speakers in 94. Stick to those OEM sizes and they should fit behind the factory grilles.

x2 and the existing speakers are supposed to be 10ohm all around.

That's true, but 99.9% of aftermarket speakers are 4-ohm. I've used aftermarket speakers with a factory HU before and didn't hurt it so I THINK you should be okay just changing the speakers.

thanks guys.....I will be shopping around over the next month. I got a few bigger problems right now before the state inspection is due in april....I got to get a new set of tires (rear two are dry rotting?!?!?!? and the rims have corrosion on the edges which explains the flat I had Saturday. So my money will be on the road rather than in my ear so to speak.....

I was glad someone finally responded, I thought I was way out there, so many reads, only a few responses...

Best Buy had some Pioneer speakers on sale and I would call crutchfield too. any other suggestions? I would start with the rear first then move to the front two.

Oh, how hard is it to replace a power antenna? mine isn't moving up/down and it looks easy....is it?

Thanks guys!

C

thanks guys.....I will be shopping around over the next month. I got a few bigger problems right now before the state inspection is due in april....I got to get a new set of tires (rear two are dry rotting?!?!?!? and the rims have corrosion on the edges which explains the flat I had Saturday. So my money will be on the road rather than in my ear so to speak.....

I was glad someone finally responded, I thought I was way out there, so many reads, only a few responses...

Best Buy had some Pioneer speakers on sale and I would call crutchfield too. any other suggestions? I would start with the rear first then move to the front two.

Not sure on the audio stuff, but the power antennas are expensive. ~$75 IIRC. A standard mast antenna will run you about $15 (again, IIRC). That's the route most people take.

Oh, how hard is it to replace a power antenna? mine isn't moving up/down and it looks easy....is it?

Thanks guys!

C

with the 4 speaker system, there won't be any hidden surprises??? no amps or Bose type issues I may come up on? I am just afraid of starting this and not being able to finish......

maybe I can get a working Power Antenna from a junkyard.......

any thoughts on low end speakers to get me by for a year? anything to absolutely stay away from????

maybe I can get a working Power Antenna from a junkyard.......

good luck im going tomorrow to return the 2nd one i bought and to look for a third one they never work

With the speakers, you can get GM speaker adapter connectors to make them completely plug & play. You shouldn't have any hidden surprises, if it had Bose you can bet they'd advertise it with Bose logos on all the speaker grilles... I don't think Bose was an option on the Cutlass Supremes anyway.

If your power antenna makes noise, it might be worthwhile just to get a new mast. They used to be $18 and are fairly easy to change out, not sure how much they cost now. The one on my wife's vert recently broke so I need to buy one too.

• 1 month later...

well, i finally got the speakers ordered and they will be put in Wednesday or Thursday. Bazooka 4" in the front and MB Quart 6.5" in the rear. a friend of mine who does car audio said this should be just fine for what I need to keep the price down and will work with the stock HU and if I decide to go aftermarket later on.

i'll let you know what happens later this week.

pictures hopefully to follow.........

later,

C

guys:

the speakers were installed today......

one word, wow.

big difference. I can't hear anything now, but let's say I am no longer embarrassed to have the top down and the radio up (except when I am listening to my 80's music)....

I was able to keep the factory speaker grills so no one will know I have anything special in the car...LOVE IT.

I never thought it would be that big of a difference.....wow.

took 2 hours, but we have to remove the dash to get at the 4 inchers.....

While we had the dash off, I was looking for HUD prewiring...didn't see any. damn. picts to follow soon.

C