fleetwoodguy79

Ever since I bought a 95 SE a year ago, the paint has been fading on all of the side panels, front and rear bumper, and the trim over the wheels. It's black, and every once in a while I see another one like mine with some of the same problems... did Pontiac have a bad paint or primer one year? Sadly for me, I might have gotten it. But does anyone know how much it would be for me to get a decent paintjob? It's getting pretty bad now, and almost all of the clearcoat is gone. Anyone that has anything to say about what to do, and not to do with bodyshops paint and all that, please let me know. I don't want to get screwed over! Thanks in advance!

What you can do is take some medium to heavy cut polish and polish your whole vehicle, then seal it with glaze and carnauba wax. That would last anywhere from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Eventually you will need to get your vehicle repainted. If you do so, be sure to have it done in basecoat/clearcoat. How much it costs depends on whether or not it needs bodywork and the type of paint you use. PPG and DuPont make very good paint. Sikkens paint is usually more expensive but it too is pretty good. If possible, do all the bodywork and prep the car yourself. It will save a lot on the labour costs. When checking out a bodyshop, try to make sure that only one person does the whole entire job. In most cases where bodywork is involved, there'll have one body technician do all the bodywork and one painter do all the painting, while they might have some prepper do the prep work inbetween. Having less people working on the same job means they're less likely to screw up. Also, look for I-Car certified bodyshops. I hope this helps. Good luck!

I had a similiar problem with a 92 Grand Am I used to own. It was black and the clearcoat on the hood, roof, and trunk was completly gone and was starting down the sides of the car. If I washed it, it only made it worse, LOL, so I never washed it. But I was told that it was really bad oxidation, which I thought was total :bs: