• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Garrett Powered

• AWeb80

• kuntzie

• pontiac6ksteawd

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__17-Inch-Silver-razor-Wheels-Rims-5x115_W0QQitemZ110347332035QQadiZ2865QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

I really don't think these would look too bad.. if I got them it would bail me out of this mess and I could sell the svt wheels on craigslist. the price is right too. $468 shipped is cheap as hell for brand new wheels. I really got a good deal on those tires and they handle real good so I probably will just get them swapped on to these other wheels. they are literally the ONLY 17x9 grand prix wheels in existence to my knowledge.

and I am glad nobody else bought svt mustang wheels before I discovered this about them. It sucks because they look so damn good on there. :sad: maybe there is some way to get them to seat better and they can be made to work but lug centric seating is probably going to prevent a perfect match so I am going to give up on that idea.

I wouldnt be so quick to write those wheels off. Try to torque the lugs down very evenly and incrementally in a star pattern. Doing this should center the wheel.

Even with my crosslaces (you know, stock bolt pattern, a wheel designed to go on my hub) I notice a slight difference in the balancing in my wheels on the hub. Its very slight, but the way you put in on matters, in your case, it matters alot. You just have to be more careful. It should work out.

alright, I retorqued them down. jacked up each corner and backed them off a turn and a half, then went around in order very lightly sinching them down about 4 times and it seemed that was a better way than the way i did it the first time. I am going for a test drive now to see if it did anything.

still shakes. its like a vibration that transfers through the steering wheel only around 50-70 mph. there is no way I can just live with it either. its annoying as hell.

went around in order very lightly sinching them down about 4 times

Just to make sure, you did a star pattern, right? And this might also be a good time to use a torque wrench, make sure everything is even. I dont know what real difference this would make, but i'd take the wheel off and start fresh (also this would be a good time to see that its mounting flush against the rotor, make sure there is nothing on mounting surfaces of the wheel or rotor). Another thing is to not use the ground to provide the friction to further torque the wheels down (so basically do one wheel at a time and use a parking brake). I'm not doubting you did any of these, just making sure you have all your bases covered.

I am going to give it one more shot and do all that tomorrow afternoon and even rotate the front to back. then after that I will see if the place I took em will re balance them for me and check if they are bent. and if they still don't work out for me I am going to try to get someone I know to swap them on his mustang for a few days and see if they do it on his car.

...but yeah, I went around in a star pattern and carefully went around like 4 times with one of those 4-way lug wrenches. I didn't use a torque wrench, but did it in increments. and this time I will check out all the surfaces.

found out something about the other american racing 17x9s on ebay and I guess they have 71.4 center bore (chrysler 300) and there is no hub centric rings that adapt to our 70.3 size hubs that I could find. the mustang rims have a 70.5 and thats at least closer to ours. somewhere i read someone had to make the bore deeper to get the wheel to mount flush, but it was on only one rim??? or some shit? seemed weird, but thats what they had to do, machine the bore deeper. I may have to consider this may be what is holding me up here too!

• 3 weeks later...

huh, I don't know what's up with the white car there must have been something on the rotor. I mounted them on the red tgp and not only do they really set that car off, there is no vibration!

It was just meant to be I guess. I swapped them and the gold crosslace wheels don't stick out as bad on the gpse. and the svt wheels look awesome with the red. I would have done it this way at first but that car was waiting for parts at the time.

i think the reason you were getting vibrations on the white car is because thetires stick out from the fenders and wind is like channeling through the treads of the tires making a negative force of some kind that makes vibrating feeling.

just a guess but i heard of this happenning to someone else

nope, that car is fine with the crosslaces. must have been from wind or something on the rotor surface.

ah what the hell, the car looks pink because of the clouds reflecting and no tint yet, and the antenna won't go down but oh well, here is what I got for now.

kdk_0136.jpgkdk_0137.jpg

Any rubbing issues with those wheels (im beginning to eat my words)... That looks great on that TGP.. Those where Bonnie rims? What size tires?

they look great....but sorry, the stock Xlaces are what should be on all 1g GPs....

IMO

there, fixed. :lol:

hard to beat the x-laces, I know. I would not have attempted to replace them without going with something that could handle a little better. but I think these are a little heavier.