Convertible Owners Specific Whatever Thread

jake91

So i cant use the glass again? because i thought i could.

It is my understanding, from the person that did my top last year, that you can not reuse just the glass alone. The glass and canvas area around it is called the "curtain" and only comes as a one piece unit. If your leak is around the glass, then the curtain is shot and will need to be replaced also. It is common with age, for the canvas to start to pull away from the glass along the bottom, and is probably were your leak is coming from. But even if it's not now, and starts after you've had a new top installed, I believe the expense of having it replaced later will be more than doing it at the same time as the top. In my opinion, not replacing it with the top is like changing the oil, and not the filter. :rolleyes:

Tom

okay good to know. i guess i will just have to suck it up, and forget about getting a radio for it. :sad:

It kinda sucks when you HAVE to buy things for the car instead of things you want to buy for it, but all in good time.

Tom

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• oldscsc

• jake91

• swift13

• ManicMechanic

i never plan on selling it. so everything i want to do to it will be done in time

That's the spirit :high5: And another good reason to get the top done right the first time.

Tom

yeah i heard the same about the top and curtain. better to replace both and not have to worry especially since your keeping the car im doin the same i dont wanna leave anything in regret so im gonna try and do everything the right way the first time around.

thats sweet im gonna have to find one at the j/y or just make something in the shop

For it to have come that way from the factory isn't what I would call a confidence builder :lol:

Tom

yeah they werent confident about what they built but at least they tried to make it work.

I've always wondered if there could be something you could do to add a drain to the top well...

Don't need no stinking drain :nono: Only leak I have is a very slight drip, left front top corner, when I take it through the car wash :biggrin: And it's the original top :mrgreen:

And the boot fits perfect and stays in place at highway speeds...............just thought I'd throw that in :lol: :lol:

Tom

x2 on the boot. also i thought you wernt suposed to take convertible through car washes

Not automatics. You can take them to the DIY car washes as long as you don't shoot high pressure water at any seams on the top. The only place my car leaks is where the A-pillar meets the top. A drip every minute or so isn't that bad though, and I try not to get caught in rain with it.

Scott - Raise your top about a foot and use an allen wrench and loosen the set screw on both hooks, turn them one-two turns and tighten the set screw. Should take care of your leak...If not, put a little black or clear silicone at the seams.

Scott - Raise your top about a foot and use an allen wrench and loosen the set screw on both hooks, turn them one-two turns and tighten the set screw. Should take care of your leak...If not, put a little black or clear silicone at the seams.

I've always wondered something...is it bad to leave the top partially up? I've never done it, but I have wondered about it.

I've always wondered something...is it bad to leave the top partially up? I've never done it, but I have wondered about it.

Well, put the top back down when you're done...:D But no, it's not bad...I will usually put a hammer or something between the windshield header and the top to keep it from coming back down unexpectedly until you're done.

x2 on the boot. also i thought you wernt suposed to take convertible through car washes

Not automatics. You can take them to the DIY car washes as long as you don't shoot high pressure water at any seams on the top. The only place my car leaks is where the A-pillar meets the top. A drip every minute or so isn't that bad though, and I try not to get caught in rain with it.

I'm talking about the automatic ride through car wash. "Delta Sonic". I know you're not supposed to :rolleyes: but it's just too damn cold here in the Chicago area to DIY. Then I do the interior myself at home in the garage.

Tom

this weather here in IL is ridiculous 2 days ago it was 3 degrees out, today it was 60 degrees out, luckily the vert is put away for this garbage winter. If it wasnt raining so much today i almost wanted to bring it out with the top down :lol:

this weather here in IL is ridiculous 2 days ago it was 3 degrees out, today it was 60 degrees out, luckily the vert is put away for this garbage winter. If it wasnt raining so much today i almost wanted to bring it out with the top down :lol:

Same here. Snowed the day before yesterday, 69 degrees yesterday (set a record), snowed today, 51 tomorrow :skep:

arizona weather would be a godsend to chicago at any time!!

Kansas gets pretty shittty doesnt it??

sorry to be changing the thread up, we can stop now.

Carry it over to the whatever thread, just quote yourself and post it there.

well i dont have to worry about paying for the top now. on christmas i won $500 on a lottery ticket :eek: :eek: :eek:

you lucky sob i have never won more then $40 on those things

well eveyone was over on christmas, and when i scratched it off i yelled "holy shit" ,and i never ever cuss in front of my aunt :lol: