normal braking? UPDATE 12/8 Fronts done

88Regal Limited

I think that the booster used in the 00-05 Impala would be a good upgrade to ALL gen 1 cars. the booster appears to be deeper, but similar in diameter, meaning it should fit fine with the space constrictions in the earlier cars... ESPECIALLY 5 speed cars. again... this is just a theory.

I think that the booster used in the 00-05 Impala would be a good upgrade to ALL gen 1 cars. the booster appears to be deeper, but similar in diameter, meaning it should fit fine with the space constrictions in the earlier cars... ESPECIALLY 5 speed cars. again... this is just a theory.

I was thinking the same thing when I was looking at a late model Impala a while back. If I come across one at the junkyard, I might pick one up to try out(and look at various other late model boosters) since most yards here only want $5-10 for a booster anyways.

what garage do you work at?

Im at the goodyear in robinson twp, right across the street from target.

My buddy has a shop in freedom I'm gonna take it to first. Going to pep boys and getting the cheapest tires they have ($230 for all 4 mounted and balanced!) and will take it up there. If something goes wrong I could take it to you. :wink:

Back on track! :lol:

Anyone have a pic of a late model impala booster? It's worth a shot.

• 2 weeks later...

When I had my Lumina, the tires didn't mine locking up on me. I remember once having to dodge a van in the middle of the road. I slammed the brakes and locked up one or two of my tires, swerving into oncoming traffic, going back over the median, then back on the road. There was also another time where my tires locked up just before hitting a van......

alright just got 4 new tires and the front rotors cut + the pads sanded today. Now I need some help on the rear brakes. What's the easiest way to get these things off? The front rotors were RUSTED SOLID on there. Big ass hammer FTW haha

It looks as if the bolts are very hard to get at, and I didn't feel like messing with it today. I'm going at it tomorrow. Any tips? :neutral:

PS- the car actually STOPS now the front rotors are cut... the pads still have a LOT of meat left. Did a lot of burnishing on the way home, they're seated in good now! But I thing the rears aren't doing anything now :willynilly:

I need some help on the rear brakes. What's the easiest way to get these things off? The front rotors were RUSTED SOLID on there. Big ass hammer FTW haha

It looks as if the bolts are very hard to get at, and I didn't feel like messing with it today. I'm going at it tomorrow. Any tips?

If the calipers are anything like what's on the '92--'93; you can push the piston into the bore with NO special tools other than a C-clamp or hammer handle laid sideways across the piston; just unscrew one nut (on the park brake cable lever) remove the washer and lever, and then the piston will push right into the bore as the park brake shaft spins. Easy.

I need some help on the rear brakes. What's the easiest way to get these things off? The front rotors were RUSTED SOLID on there. Big ass hammer FTW haha

It looks as if the bolts are very hard to get at, and I didn't feel like messing with it today. I'm going at it tomorrow. Any tips?

If the calipers are anything like what's on the '92--'93; you can push the piston into the bore with NO special tools other than a C-clamp or hammer handle laid sideways across the piston; just unscrew one nut (on the park brake cable lever) remove the washer and lever, and then the piston will push right into the bore as the park brake shaft spins. Easy.

When I did the rears on my 95 regal last week, it didn't quite work out that way. A C-clamp will not compress the rear calipers, as you need to turn them while you're pressing them inside, so it may take a special tool to compress these.

As for the rotors, I couldn't get them off; its that simple. They just wouldn't budge. I sat there hammering at them from the inside of the car out to try to get them to loosen up but nothing. I ended up having to hammer the studs out in order to get the rotor to loosen up, and then having to buy new studs since i had hammered in the threads on my existing ones and couldn't get the lugnuts back on to tighten them. Not fun.

When I did the rears on my 95 regal last week, it didn't quite work out that way. A C-clamp will not compress the rear calipers, as you need to turn them while you're pressing them inside, so it may take a special tool to compress these.

The newer calipers are different from the older ones. And that may be why you couldn't shove the piston back into the bore. I don't know for sure, I've never dicked with the newer rear calipers. My first guess is that the same procedure will work for both styles--I just don't have experience doing it.

The older calipers CAN have the pistons jammed back into the bore with a C-clamp or a hammer handle laid sideways--but--you HAVE to remove the nut, washer, and park brake lever. As the piston retracts, the shaft that the lever, washer, and nut were on will spin as it threads back into the piston.

This procedure (allowing the shaft to spin on a ~3/4" rubber seal) beats hell out of trying to turn the piston on it's full-diameter seals using the ten-dollar special tool.

As for the rotors, I couldn't get them off; its that simple. They just wouldn't budge. I sat there hammering at them from the inside of the car out to try to get them to loosen up but nothing. I ended up having to hammer the studs out in order to get the rotor to loosen up, and then having to buy new studs since i had hammered in the threads on my existing ones and couldn't get the lugnuts back on to tighten them. Not fun.

That's one of dozens of reasons that I invested in a proper oxy-acetelyne torch. A propane or MAPP-gas torch might have worked as well. Never beat on something if you have a "blue wrench" available...

Yes, 1st gen W body brakes do suck this bad.

fixed. Night and day difference between the GP's brakes and my Lumina's.

What year was your lumina? The newer first gens got a larger booster.. My 95 stops just as good as our 07 GP GT.

I would have to agree with the stopping power of the 95s.

Mine work as good as many of the 2000+ Impalas and GPs I drive at my buddies used car lot!

Yes, 1st gen W body brakes do suck this bad.

fixed. Night and day difference between the GP's brakes and my Lumina's.

What year was your lumina? The newer first gens got a larger booster.. My 95 stops just as good as our 07 GP GT.

I would have to agree with the stopping power of the 95s.

Mine work as good as many of the 2000+ Impalas and GPs I drive at my buddies used car lot!

That's probably why I think the brakes on my 95 regal are fine. I suppose earlier gens might have had worse brakes. The regal stops just great.

I would have tried to find a torch, but I imagine that would be a little bit more costly. I may need to find one though for when I do poly bushings on the control arms.