Oil Filters?

Masterchief362

So i caved in and decided that i would buy a better filter. For the longest time, I was using the cheap orange Fram filters, simply because of the grip, which run for around $4.50 per filter around here. I recently bought the Fram Tough Guard filters for $7.00 each (and two more for $5.00 each on rockauto). We'll see how these do. Unfortunately, my oil does get dark very quickly on the regal, and I decided this might be due in part to the oil filter. So next oil change, I'll let you guys know how it all looks.

Are these Fram Tough Guard filters any good? I have a Purolator PureOne on the Bonneville and that seems to be working alright, but I'm not sure if I want to move up to spending $10 a oil filter every 3,000 miles on the Regal for the M1 or K&N filters.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Addicted To Boost

• Night Fury

• CSI_MuNkY

Try a WIX filter, they do a great job and are inexpensive. I think I paid like $3.50 for one the last time I bought one. I personally use AC Delco filters on my GPs.

If you bought an Intrigue with a 3.5 this question wouldnt matter as EVERY LX-5 filter is made by the same company regardless of what brand the box says. They are all made by AC.

OWNED !!!

Try a WIX filter, they do a great job and are inexpensive. I think I paid like $3.50 for one the last time I bought one. I personally use AC Delco filters on my GPs.

Me too. I like the pretty blue!

So i caved in and decided that i would buy a better filter. For the longest time, I was using the cheap orange Fram filters, simply because of the grip, which run for around $4.50 per filter around here. I recently bought the Fram Tough Guard filters for $7.00 each (and two more for $5.00 each on rockauto). We'll see how these do. Unfortunately, my oil does get dark very quickly on the regal, and I decided this might be due in part to the oil filter. So next oil change, I'll let you guys know how it all looks.

Are these Fram Tough Guard filters any good? I have a Purolator PureOne on the Bonneville and that seems to be working alright, but I'm not sure if I want to move up to spending $10 a oil filter every 3,000 miles on the Regal for the M1 or K&N filters.

You paid entirely too much for a subpar filter. The high end Frams aren't terrible, but deliver poor performance compared to even the cheapest store brand Purolator. I'd put it on and run it but never buy another again.

You paid entirely too much for a subpar filter. The high end Frams aren't terrible, but deliver poor performance compared to even the cheapest store brand Purolator. I'd put it on and run it but never buy another again.

Well, I just read the article that was posted, and I must say that was a pretty good wealth of information.

Seems like this is the only Fram filter that is really any good. As an adjustment, I paid $6.55 for each on RockAuto. "Even with all the problems of the other Fram filters, this one is not too bad...I personally do not use this filter, but the design didn't have enough bad qualities to cause me to tell others to avoid it."

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html#champion

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/opinions.html

I use a Purolator PureOne in my Bonneville and in my mom's Vue, and I'll probably go with either the same or a Wix after these 3 Fram TG filters are up. I absolutely **need** a more rough feel on the filter for the Regal, as the filter is pretty hard to get to, which is why I had used the cheap Fram filters to begin with.

My dad on the other hand has always used the cheapest possible STP filter on his 4.7L 2001 Dakota.

FWIW, if it's the sandpaper coating that you have a big boner for, the new PureOnes are completely coated in that stuff.

I know, precisely why I bought them for my Bonneville and my mom's 3.5L Vue. :high5:

i would use An AC Filter , on my lumina i use a pf 52 , but on my venture van i use A PF47 just because of space issues. Fram restricts flow all together i think so i use ac filter over Fram :willynilly:

Also if the engine is making noise at start up it's lifters not pumping up as fast as they use to. all most every 3100 i have ever heard makes that noise until it warms up.