• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• Addicted To Boost

• Night Fury

• CSI_MuNkY

Purolator or ac delco.For once and only once will i agree with irondog442 on the lx-5 oil filter is a bitch.

the LX5 oil filter is a cake walk... People just need to learn to purchase the correct tools for the job.. Thats why I own about 20 oil filter cap wrenches and the like. About to be 21 actually, I need to hit up the Toyota dealer for the new one for 06-up Toyota V6s

I personally hated the supercharged cobalt ss with the supercharger on top of the oil canister. you have to be stretch armstong for that shit.

Believe this or not, but I swear to God and everything holy that it's true.

My grandfather used rolls of one ply toilet paper as his oil filter on his little 50's model Ford 8N tractor. Never once had a problem.

That thing was a little workhorse.

My grandfather used rolls of one ply toilet paper as his oil filter on his little 50's model Ford 8N tractor. Never once had a problem.

Cheap frams look a whole lot better now! haha

Jamie

That was the proper thing to use on those machines. Let me tell ya it worked great!

If been using Fram for 28 years and have never had a problem with them, and I will continue to use them. :mrgreen:

You also don't drive like I do............. :wink:

That being said, MY research has indicated that the top rung filters are Mobil 1, K&N (an M1 clone with a free-er flowing/less filtration biased media and a silly nut on the outside of the case that MIGHT help get it off), Ac Delco's "Ultraguard" series and to a *point*, the Purolater Pure One filters (although these MAY cause a cold flow restriction due to the excessive number of pleats).

*I* use M1 filters on the Neon, USED M1's on the SE-R and flip flop between M1's and K&N's on the Prelude and the NX (because the Prelude's filter is kind of a bitch to get to and the nut helps a *little*).

I HAVE noticed the SE-R and NX (both with the SR20DE and a filter mounted at an angle up on the head), that compared to cheapo designs (FRAM!!! :razz:), that the oil STAYS in the filter and the valvetrain does NOT hammer away on cold starts (like it DOES with Frams and Fram clones [Penzoil/QState etc]).

Another thing of note............while the M1 and the K&N have the same manufacturuer (Champion Labs), and the same basic design, the K&N DOES cause the oil to get dirtier/darker faster than the M1...........so I guess there IS something to the filtration vs flow argument (remember........the M1 is designed to filter more, the K&N to flow more).

As for sources.........

http://www.knizefamily.net/minimopar/oilfilters/reference.html#champion

That is the best article out there............there is also a VERY nice article about oil and filters on www.shoclub.com

Go to the "members" section, scroll about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way down and click on the "Oil and Oil filters, learn more for your SHO: "Buford" dives into SHO lubrication and oil filter needs/comparison of oil filters (Updated July 2002)" link.

Read it..........it's WORTH it.

Either way, I'll be sticking to M1 and K&N (depending on used/vehicle) and Mobil 1 oil, and I'd bet that I drive at LEAST as hard as any of you on a day to day basis ;)

BTW.........before I broke the GP, I was using a Delco PF52, and have seen and used THOUSANDS here at work (along with cut a fair number open).

MY biggest Delco complaint is that the same is a little thin (almost as thin as Fram), although the internals ARE very nice and beefy. The cases on M1's and K&N's are WAY thicker/stronger.

If Delco did change back from that E-core crap I would recommend them.

NAPA Gold and Silver are made by WIX/Dana. Napa Gold is what the white WIX ones are.

Jay recently bought the "media" filled Amsoil filters and I've heard those are supposed to be amazing from him. Anyone else heard this? :dunno:

Purolator or ac delco.For once and only once will i agree with irondog442 on the lx-5 oil filter is a bitch.

the LX5 oil filter is a cake walk... People just need to learn to purchase the correct tools for the job.. Thats why I own about 20 oil filter cap wrenches and the like. About to be 21 actually, I need to hit up the Toyota dealer for the new one for 06-up Toyota V6s

I have this wrench and its easy!

I have this wrench and its easy!

I would hope you have the wrench :lol: :lol:

If The LX5 Was So Awesome, It Wouldn't Need A Special Wrench.

Here's how I replace oil filters.

1. try to remove by hand. If not successful at first attempt, try again. Repeat 2-3 times until frustrated.

2. Wrap a belt around it with a tightening loop and pull with all your might. If not successful, secure your legs on the subframe of the car, put your back into it, and pull with all your might. If still unsuccessful, have someone try to untwist it with their hands and pull on the belt with all your might (what we had to do for my buddy's 01 Cavalier Z24)

3. If still unsuccessful, get a hammer and a long flathead screw driver, hammer it through the filter, and twist with all your might.

who needs a special tool?

1. try to remove by hand. If not successful at first attempt, try again. Repeat 2-3 times until frustrated.

2. Wrap a belt around it with a tightening loop and pull with all your might. If not successful, secure your legs on the subframe of the car, put your back into it, and pull with all your might. If still unsuccessful, have someone try to untwist it with their hands and pull on the belt with all your might (what we had to do for my buddy's 01 Cavalier Z24)

3. If still unsuccessful, get a hammer and a log flathead screw driver, hammer it through the filter, and twist with all your might.

you forgot the obligatory expletives in between those steps...LOL

3. If still unsuccessful, get a hammer and a log flathead screw driver, hammer it through the filter, and twist with all your might.

you forgot the obligatory expletives in between those steps...LOL

Those vary from person to person. Use your imagination.

I like to vary the obscenities a bit but its basically the combination of vocabulary used during heated rough sex and your typical w-body "oh shit, my LQ1 just fucked me over" thread.

The best filter tool for canister filter is the "claw"

Basically it goes on a ratchet and crunches into the filter and grabs it.

Awesome.

Got a link for one? I'm interested.

My right hand works great for many uses. :dunno:

You're tightening your oil filter too tight if you need a wrench to get it off... That said, you can get them pretty damn tight by hand.

My right hand works great for many uses. :dunno:

You're tightening your oil filter too tight if you need a wrench to get it off... That said, you can get them pretty damn tight by hand.

Its other assholes who tighten them too much to where you can't get it off, as I often change other peoples' oil as well.

LQ1 hate FTL...

Oh, and AC Delco here.

I can justify my dislike of the LQ1 on a hell of a lot more occasions than anyone can justify their hate (if any) of the 3.1. I don't think anyone here has anything bad to say about my Series 1 3800 either, so lets leave it at that. There are some LQ1's that run great, but there are plenty that don't. IIRC all LN3's and L27's run pretty damn well for pretty damn long.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I stopped at a Fleet Farm in Lakeville yesterday (trucking) on my way to the Car Quest warehouse and happened to come across the Pure-One filters and caved and got the gold grip ones. One for each of my 4 vehicles. Hope they perform/ protect as well as everyone says. Bonus is that they aren't any more expensive (I think they're cheaper) than the middle grade Frams I've been getting from WalMart