Weather Strip Repair

mitalie

I found a solution to minor weatherstripping wear. My cutty had a two bad leaks around the driver door window. The stripping had holes and splits. At the beginning of summer, I bought some "Permatex - Black Silicone Adhesive Sealant" and filled the holes and cracks. Then I shaped it quickly so it wouldn't be too obvious. It stopped my leaks.

I am trying and experiment to see if I can seal the area where the top weatherstripping meets the door's. I think I can put the silicon on and use plastic wrap (coated with light lubricant) to the keep the areas from touching. Then close the top and window until it drys to form the seal.

My first experiment is NOT on the car.

Since none of the weatherstripping for the verts is available anymore, and may never be, anything is worth a shot. Since it's already leaking, your probably not going to make worse by trying. The only other solution is to keep checking local junk yards for good used pieces. I recently came across two good "A" pillar pieces. Don't need them now but I'm sure I will in the future. And sooner or later I'll find the 3 pieces for the front and sides of the top. Good luck and let us know how it works.............WITH PICS.

Tom