Windshield Cracked on its Own

Hairdo12

Yep, after 16 years and may survived hits with rocks by semi-trucks I go out to my garage and the windshield was cracked from the inside accross the inspection and registration stickers. I fortunately have full glass coverage through my insurance. When the guy came to replace it I guess there was some major rust on the cowl and some rust on the A-pillar. Nothing structural is compromised but the rusty parts pushed up enough on the windsield to crack it. I wish I was home in time to see it cause I would have some pictures, the guy took some on his cell phone - to support his "I can't guarentee it'll be sealed 5 years from now" disclaimer. Took him a while to clean out the rust and prep the area so it doesn't crack the new windshield in a year or two.

I must say the new windshield is 100x clearer than the old one. The old one was pitted and was just simply not as transparent as this new one. I held up my radar detector near it to see if there was a double reflection of the display and there wasn't any at all like the old one... I heard that some aftermarket windshields are the same as the HUD ones, but just not labeled for it. Don't quote me on that however. I gotta dig up my HUD I modified to put in the Lumina and try it out.... I removed it because the double image was driving me nuts.

...Not too many original parts left on this car :neutral:

the same thing happened to my old '97 Cutty....came out to the garage one day and there was a crack in the window that wasn't there when I parked it.....It didn't have any abnormal rust/structure issues that caused it though :shrug:

Makes me thing of that annoying as hell Safelight Auto Glass commercial they always play on the radio.

"One of our customers had a small chip in her windshield, she didnt think anything of it. Then one day she hit a bump and CRACK! We ended having to replace her whole windshield."

2 Summers ago, it was hotter than holy hell outside. We have well water so it's pretty cold. Went to wash the car after it had been sitting in the sun all day, sprayed it down with cold water real quick and it cracked the windshield instantly.

2 Summers ago, it was hotter than holy hell outside. We have well water so it's pretty cold. Went to wash the car after it had been sitting in the sun all day, sprayed it down with cold water real quick and it cracked the windshield instantly.

Same exact thing happened to my Ciera.

If I ever was to replace my windshield I'd only buy an OEM one or an expensive aftermarket one if I had to. The cheap windshields can't take any type of rock impacts without cracking. My Lumina has been twacked on the freeway like a billion times last year and nothing ever cracked - pitted a bit but w/e. My sister's Taurus is the same way - take s a beating, it's pitted extremely bad but no cracks lol.

That's why southern cars are FTW. :lol:

Main reason I try not to buy anything from around here unless it's a recent arrival to the area :P

Im the same way! Learned that lesson the hard way.

Makes me thing of that annoying as hell Safelight Auto Glass commercial they always play on the radio.

"One of our customers had a small chip in her windshield, she didnt think anything of it. Then one day she hit a bump and CRACK! We ended having to replace her whole windshield."

Fuck Chris or Matt or Nate or whatever that assholes name is this week.