The Great Grand Prix GT Non-Debate (Recent Post: Louvers?)

GP1138

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• ManicMechanic

• Addicted to eaton

• jeremy

The guy who owns it walked by me as I was walking back to my car one row adjacent, and I managed to catch him as he was getting in, and confirmed it was a repaint. I told him about the website, but didn't have a damned card to give him, so he probably won't join here. He was looking pretty suspiciously at me, but in a "holy shit this guy's nuts" kind of way rather than a "fuck I'm going to call the police this pedo is taking pictures of my VIN number!!!" kind of way. :lol:

that car has been rebadged, i know they didnt come like that. they were SE's or they had the GTP badge

I find that hard to believe though... those are, upon examination (thank you iPhone camera) not small enough to be 97+ GT badges, but could possibly be '94+ sedan badges... but those are rare as well. I know of one person that owned one, RossGT who used to be on this forum. Other than that, I've never even seen one in person.

I can't think of any reason they'd do such a thing anyway. If I had $1 I'd pay to get a Carfax done to see what it came back as.

That car is not rebadged, it's a GT. They're full optioned cars typically with 3.1's. I have pictures of a Black 1991 GT with a luggage rack spoiler that was loaded(gray leather AQ9's, HUD, DIC, etc.)...I took pictures of it back in 2002. Besides it, I've seen a few others just like it from 91-93. All of the ones I've seen have been 3.1 cars, but some members here claim to have seen them with LQ1's(LQ1's were optional on pretty much every trim level GP).

We covered this a long time ago, several times I believe! :lol: GT's exist for a fact. Pretty much every car review site out there lists them. Some of those scans Adam posted a while back might have even had 91-93 GT info on them(?).

ok. here is what is WRONG.

the "GT" on that door is not attached with the original double stick backing as the "GRAND PRIX" the "GT" is also CROOKED.

otherwise, repaint or not, the GRAND PRIX door badge appears to be an unmolested original, complete with the normal gray double stick foam tape backing. I think it VERY LIKELY that the door is an unpainted original. And as well all know, the plastic ground effects and sometimes the flat surfaces show paint aging before the horizontal surfaces. Thus.... well... figure it out.

I guess it was less of a controversy than I remembered. :lol:

You might be thinking about the debate about whether or not "special editions" with hood louvers were GTP's. :lol:

Here are some pictures of the 91 GT I mentioned:

forsale91GPGT.jpg

forsaleGPGT1.jpg

forsale91GPhud.jpg

forsaleGPGTinterior.jpg

forsale91GPfront.jpg

Left one out.

forsale91GPGTgaugecluster.jpg

forsale91GPGTsunroof.jpg

ok. here is what is WRONG.

the "GT" on that door is now attached with the original double stick backing as the "GRAND PRIX" the "GT" is also CROOKED.

otherwise, repaint or not, the GRAND PRIX door badge appears to be an unmolested original, complete with the normal gray double stick foam tape backing. I think it VERY LIKELY that the door is an unpainted original. And as well all know, the plastic ground effects and sometimes the flat surfaces show paint aging before the horizontal surfaces. Thus.... well... figure it out.

If carfax didn't register the car as a GT, I'd somewhat agree, but... I tend to believe it here.

Year: 1991

Make: PONTIAC

Model: GRAND PRIX

Body: COUPE

Engine: 3.1L V6 MPI NM

Check Digit: 5

Drive Line Type: FWD

Vehicle Type: Passenger

Vehicle Class: Upper Midsize Specialty (car)

Fuel Type: Gas

Series: GRAND PRIX GT

Restraint System: Passive (automatic) Belts

I'm not saying it is not... but the badging has been tampered. :confused:

Oh, I thought you were disputing the trim level. Your post was somewhat ambiguous. I didn't ask him what parts of the car were repainted. It could very well be an original door. Though the pinstriping was probably re-done.

WP could go either way...As a GT or a GTP.

I'm willing to bet that though there were likely 3.4 GTs made, the GT was like Pontiac's answer to high insurance costs of a GTO back in the '70s...That time the GT-37 came out on the LeMans and could have any engine from a 6 cyl to a 455. Perhaps the GT was placed on the option list for people that wanted all the GTPs looks and gadgets but without the 3.4.

hey look guys! mine used to be a GT!! CRAZY!!

picsofgrandprixindapark001.jpg

If it makes you all feel any better, the old Berritas had the same style letterin as the first gen Gps, so it pretty much looks factory...i ran it like that for awhile, before i updated to the newer lettering style.

hey look another angle!! same car!

IMG_0035.jpg

i am not goin to agrue either way that they existed or not, i am just saying that just because the badge says "GT" doesnt make it.

GP - GT's

There were lots of extra options:

B4U trim - about $2,500

LQ1 - $995

Sunroof $750

Standard engine was 3.1 and you could load up car with all the other options and trim levels: 1SA, 1SB, 1SC, 1SD.

If you ordered a GT coupe in GTP trim and added (B4U, LQ1, Sunroof, leather, X-laces (they were optional), 245/50-16 tires, CD, Compass, 1SD trim package (highest level trim)) you were at about $25k. automatic cost extra above the Getrag 5-speed.

i

that looks completely "tacked on" ....fwiw: I have ran across a couple 91-93GPGT Coupes, all in the jy though

i am not arguing the point, i am just saying, anyone can add badges.....

^^^

fair enough, I am not really sure why the one in the original post is being debated so heavily, it even carfax reports as a GT :shrug:

It's not, really, I thought it was, but it turned out to be a non-issue. I think I was remembering the louver debate.