Getrag 284 prices

ss427

Hi everybody. I just joined here and have a question to ask. I am planning to install a 5 speed in my currently automatic Caddy. Upon a while of searching I yesterday found a complete 92 Z34 5 speed in a junkyard with all the stuff. It has about 130,000 on the clock, and the shifter moved well through all the gears. The yard quoted me $750 removed for everything I would need to do the swap. My question to you is what do you all think about this price?

I am from Maine and after scouring all of New England for a 284 car I found this one in NY while down here for school. Being that this is the first "partable" 5 speed W body I have come across in the whole northeast, I'm guessing I won't see another one for a while. At this point it seems to me a decent price to have all the stuff out of the car and able for me to easily transport myself for free.

My other question is about availability of rebuild parts for this tranny. From what I have read, there are no rebuild parts available for the 284, but I have also read that there are. Due to the weight of my car and the torque its engine puts out, I don't want to mess around with a 282 since this will be everyday transportation when complete.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and input!

Steve

well, they are indeed few and far between....i have only seen one 5-speed in the 2 years i have been frequenting the local yards.......so yes, it might be alittle high, but you are also buying something that most people dont have.

That price is high IMHO. I bought a whole trans for $750 but that was 5 years ago. I would be looking at $500 at most. Others can tell you what they've paid.

The 284 cannot be rebuilt. There used to be a exchange program between GM and Getrag, whether that still exists I'm not sure. You could attempt contacting Getrag direct. I think there are some people building parts on 60degreev6.com last I heard. Also there is a place in Atlanta that says they can rebuild them. Whether this is true or not I'm not sure.

What model caddy is this going into? Have you looked at gear ratios to see if the 282 isn't better suited for your car? You do know that the 282 can be rebuilt with stronger parts?

Thanks for the info guys. I think I am going to hold off on it for now. To answer 5speedz34, it is going in a 90 Eldorado, which weighs about the same as the Z34. I wasn't aware that you can build a 282 with components stronger than factory stuff. The engine it will be hooked to puts out 180hp and 250 lbs ft torque. My next question is can the Getrag 282 can be built to withstand this amount of torque in a 3500 pound car. I am not planning on racing it or doing burnouts or anything, but I am however a spirited driver. Are the cases for the 284 stronger than the 282s as well?

The first thing I asked the yard was about buying the whole car, but they said they can't sell them once they're in the yard. I am thinking maybe now I will buy only the shifter stuff and any brackets I may need to use, and look for a 282 from a u-pull-it or something. As far as gear ratios, I do like the ones in the 284, so is there a 282 out there that has similar gearing? Using the Z34 for comparison to my car, in your opinion what is the best gearing to go with.

Thanks

Steve

gear ratio's.

http://www.bstuff.com/index.php?s=4bdc63d4fcbd89c56ed3fea2aaf797df&showtopic=45488

the 284's can be rebuilt. a couple people here have had it done, and myself and another member have talked to mechanics that have done it before. you can randomly find rebuild kits on Ebay btw.

i honestly think the 284 could handle that setup stock. your car is only slightly heavier with 30 ft/lbs more than a Z34.

Bigbulls is the person to ask about which gear ratios would be best for your engine. He knows his stuff.

Well I guess I will think a little about what I want to do before I make any decisions. The car doesn't look like it's going anywhere for a while. If I am able to get a rebuild kit, than I will probably go for it, as I have the space and the ability to do it all myself. I have been rebuilding 60s Muncie 4 speeds for my Impalas for a while, so one of these can't be mush worse.

The Eldorado has 160,000 on the orginal engine/tranny, and it(4T60) is starting to show its age. So taking the cost of replacing/rebuilding that tranny into consideration with the cost of the 5 speed conversion, it's probably going to end up being a price I can live with in the end. The main factor is whether I can rebuild the 284 or not, and if it ends up that I can, that is going to be awesome.

Steve

The 4.9 is actually a decent motor. I use that very loosely.

A 284 will hold tons of power, I wouldn't worry about your stock power. Chances are a 282 is just as good also.

The 4.9 is actually a decent motor. I use that very loosely.

A 284 will hold tons of power, I wouldn't worry about your stock power. Chances are a 282 is just as good also.

I've heard that with an Allante intake on them they're actually not half bad. :dunno:

my 89 gp se weighs in at 4020lbs it got a 282 & when i ran it with my new 3.1 i broke out the sub frame (due to age) so the weight is not an issue i got 176,000 on mine it does make some noise but when i run it again i may have it redone. if you look in the for sale section there is a 282 set up for around 350$ with some new parts . engine bay looks really nice and clean (:

good luck with you venture(:

282 5-speed Complete Setup, $350obo with New Parts!!!

« on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote

Dont ask why, but the 282 isnt gonna go in my CS (cradle bolt issue icon_evil)

The 282 cant stay in the TGP, I dont trust it with what the TGP will be in the end (HP handling issues)

What you get

-Good 282 trans, comes with a spare one still at Pats if you want it

-Both shift cables, shift very freely

-Both CV axles, Pat bought them new, prolly used like 2 months

-New slave/master cylinder, bought by Pat, comes with spare slave

-Spec Stage 3 clutch (bought new by Pat)

-Flywheel (bought new by Pat)

-Pedal assy and firewall bracket

-Brake booster and master cylinder (non-abs) Im pretty sure you need the booster (its the small one)

Basically everything you need to do a 5-speed swap

Asking $350

if it not sold its a good deal !

why do u say the 282 won't hold up to the TGP? I have a 3.1L '93 GP and I have been pondering turboing it for a while now but figured I would need to do a manual swap on it if i wanted to go turbo on it. what manual tranny do u recommend for a TGP? btw is that tranny still for sale? and how much would it cost to get it shipped to michigan?

my 89 gp se weighs in at 4020lbs it got a 282 & when i ran it with my new 3.1 i broke out the sub frame (due to age) so the weight is not an issue i got 176,000 on mine it does make some noise but when i run it again i may have it redone. if you look in the for sale section there is a 282 set up for around 350$ with some new parts . engine bay looks really nice and clean (:

good luck with you venture(:

282 5-speed Complete Setup, $350obo with New Parts!!!

« on: August 25, 2008, 07:38:31 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote

Dont ask why, but the 282 isnt gonna go in my CS (cradle bolt issue icon_evil)

The 282 cant stay in the TGP, I dont trust it with what the TGP will be in the end (HP handling issues)

What you get

-Good 282 trans, comes with a spare one still at Pats if you want it

-Both shift cables, shift very freely

-Both CV axles, Pat bought them new, prolly used like 2 months

-New slave/master cylinder, bought by Pat, comes with spare slave

-Spec Stage 3 clutch (bought new by Pat)

-Flywheel (bought new by Pat)

-Pedal assy and firewall bracket

-Brake booster and master cylinder (non-abs) Im pretty sure you need the booster (its the small one)

Basically everything you need to do a 5-speed swap

Asking $350

if it not sold its a good deal !

Looks like this stuff has been sold. So are you saying the 282 should be able to withstand 250 ft lbs? What are the major differences in the case design between the 282 and 284? If I fabricate my brackets in my Caddy based on the 284, would I also be able to put a 282 in if I ever decided to change? Also, are the diff. bearings, and the case gaskets the same between both trannys?

Thanks

Steve