Why is my car using so much gas?

19Cutlass94

Recently I drove like 390 all highway miles, and i only got 25mpg... on straight highway! I mean maybe it was because it was going like 70-75 some of the time, but that cant be the whole reason as to why. Is it possible I might have an injector thats stuck open or leaking? Would i be able to test this by ohm testing the injectros or no?

you ought to see why my Intyrigue is getting and you would stop bitching about it ~

But you don't count. You only operate the car at 100% open throttle and over 100mph as much as possible. :lol:

you ought to see why my Intyrigue is getting and you would stop bitching about it ~

But you don't count. You only operate the car at 100% open throttle and over 100mph as much as possible. :lol:

i get 26 avg in my l67

Check the basics:

Tire pressures.

Air filter.

PLugs (state of tune).

DRIVING HABITS (even a good run of fuel econ can be badly skewed by one top speed pull.........don't ask how I know :rolleyes:).

Oh.........and here's one...........was it windy??

Even a crosswind can fuck up fuel econ very nicely.

And finally...........even E10 ethanol gas can hurt 3-4% as compared to regular 87 octane.

Recently I drove like 390 all highway miles, and i only got 25mpg... on straight highway! I mean maybe it was because it was going like 70-75 some of the time, but that cant be the whole reason as to why. Is it possible I might have an injector thats stuck open or leaking? Would i be able to test this by ohm testing the injectros or no?

That really sounds par for the course to me. Did you used to get lots better?

My picks - if you did.

Catalytic converter or EGR.

Most likely cat, when was the last time that was replaced (if it was?)

my car 97 gtp 3800 supercharged V6

Highway

75mph 30mpg

65mph 34.5-35.5

mpg 55 45-55 mpg

In town

20-23mpg

my avg

What's that, based off your trip computer?

Jay, 25 MPG for 70-75 is a little but under what it should get, but remember you're still un-tuned. Even though your PCM fuel trims show it's "alright" there's more to be had by getting it tuned. With my stock L82 PCM I couldn't pull greater than 22 MPG on my commute, but after tuning I range from 24-26 consistently and that was after simple fuel adjustment and timing advancement. Also remember the 3.33 FDR will stop you from hitting much higher at those speeds. The W-bodies with the factory 3400's usually had 2.84's and that's one of the ways they were rated so high on the highway. When I drop my speed to the ~65 mph range, I realistically see around 28 MPG.

my car 97 gtp 3800 supercharged V6

Highway

75mph 30mpg

65mph 34.5-35.5

mpg 55 45-55 mpg

In town

20-23mpg

my avg

What's that' date=' based off your trip computer?

Jay, 25 MPG for 70-75 is a little but under what it should get, but remember you're still un-tuned. Even though your PCM fuel trims show it's "alright" there's more to be had by getting it tuned. With my stock L82 PCM I couldn't pull greater than 22 MPG on my commute, but after tuning I range from 24-26 consistently and that was after simple fuel adjustment and timing advancement. Also remember the 3.33 FDR will stop you from hitting much higher at those speeds. The W-bodies with the factory 3400's usually had 2.84's and that's one of the ways they were rated so high on the highway. When I drop my speed to the ~65 mph range, I realistically see around 28 MPG.

[/quote']

yeah I guess that makes more sense to me now that I think about it like that. I just thought that I should be getting more than that. Im gonna try to slow down to ~65-66 on the highway and not punch it to get around slower cars on the backroads. I wanna try and get it close to ~28 or so, then Id be happy. But when I hooked up the AFR, it read the correct fuel trims, ok well more correctly speaking the correct AFR, for what it should be. Even though its untuned. WOT it dips down to 12.5AFR. It just seems like the 93 in my car goes a little bit faster than it should be.

you're a richer guy than me :lol: I stick with strictly 87 octane laced with ethanol. I have enough fun filling the F-body tank with premium.

Do you get any knock retard running 87?

After seeing your timing maps, how the hell do you get away with using 87 and seeing no KR??? Hell, I see KR with 89 :willynilly:

I just skimmed through this thread and skoffed because MY Lumina gets shittier mileage, I think. I estimated probably lower than 20 to the gallon. But, then again, I've done so much high-speed driving and rev limiting that I probably haven't helped the engine much.........and I accelerate HARD.