Coolant Fill procedure

ns87

I've searched, but nothng is really helping me.

When I first start the car, some coolant spirts out the bleeder screw but that's it. I never run the car longer than a minute, but there is a TON of coolant in my reseviour, and none in my engine. i really don't want to over heat it or crack the block, but I can't get any coolant to flow.

Do you have coolant up to the tstat? The way I've done it is run the car a bit so that it gets up to operating temp.. Then open up the bleeder screw until you just get coolant coming out of it..

When I first start the car, some coolant spirts out the bleeder screw but that's it. I never run the car longer than a minute, but there is a TON of coolant in my reseviour, and none in my engine. i really don't want to over heat it or crack the block, but I can't get any coolant to flow.

Just checking, you did actually fill up the radiator by removing the cap, right?

I've actually found it helpful to open the bleeder, squeeze the upper radiator hose, close the bleeder, and then release the hose. This causes it to suck in the coolant.

Some cars are a bigger PITA with this than others. I think that's why they added that 2nd bleeder on the heater pipe near the front of the engine.

I've actually found it helpful to open the bleeder, squeeze the upper radiator hose, close the bleeder, and then release the hose. This causes it to suck in the coolant.

That's a great tip! I'll have to remember that for next time..

I'm not quite sure what I did, but enough times opening enough bleeder screws and there's no air in the system.

Just checking, you did actually fill up the radiator by removing the cap, right?

:redface: :redface: :redface: whoops!

I'm not quite sure what I did, but enough times opening enough bleeder screws and there's no air in the system.

:redface: :redface: :redface: whoops!

LOL!!!

That's a great tip! I'll have to remember that for next time..

That IS a great tip!

Some cars are a bigger PITA with this than others. I think that's why they added that 2nd bleeder on the heater pipe near the front of the engine.

Great idea, that's what I do every time.

There is this tool called AirLift that utilizes air to pull vacuum to about 25 or so psi through the system using shop air or whatever. Then you switch it shut sealing it. Replace the tube with the other attachment to a bottle of antifreeze, coolant, whatever and it sucks it in causing no air leaks. When its done, your done. No need to bleed at all. I LOVE this tool. Works for most if not all cars. Must have on the radiator bottle only accessible vehicles like the malibu (z).