just tuned her up and now other old parts acting up?

Garrett Powered

pulled up to the light when it started surging and sputtering. then died and wouldnt start. me and my girlfriend pushed it a few blocks to the nearest parking lot and the first thought in my mind was it was the fuel pump. she said she saw it flash a check engine light. but anyway, it started and idled for a minute or two then all the sudden the thing started revving up to 2500-3000 rpms and the interior lights started flickering :lol: then I shut it off. then drove across the parking lot to arbys and got a french dip. then got back in and drove it back here and it seemed normal for that 4-5 minute drive.

so I dont know what that was all about. what does that sound like? should I try to pull the code? I dont want to drive it somewhere and have it act up like that. I am guessing 1. icm 2. ecm 3. coil packs...however on the other car the coil packs were bad and they never made the idle surge around like that.

anyone ever had something like this happen and it just heals itself?

will pulling codes help me or should I just get an icm and coils and throw them on?

It just kept flashing 12 12 12 12 12

so basically that means no codes right?

I threw on my O2 sensor for now because it looked like the stock black wire one on there. it was burned white.

thats a good idea about the tps, I can carry a spare used one I have just in case I break down. when I tuned it up I cleaned up some tb parts with a toothbrush and toluene and that could have pissed off the tps.

I also have a ckp I will do at some point just to rule stuff out one-by-one. my new ks and ckp will be in there for sure soon before more boost. just want to get all the kinks out first, this car is the chosen one. :worshippy:

It just kept flashing 12 12 12 12 12

so basically that means no codes right?

I threw on my O2 sensor for now because it looked like the stock black wire one on there. it was burned white.

thats a good idea about the tps, I can carry a spare used one I have just in case I break down. when I tuned it up I cleaned up some tb parts with a toothbrush and toluene and that could have pissed off the tps.

I also have a ckp I will do at some point just to rule stuff out one-by-one. my new ks and ckp will be in there for sure soon before more boost. just want to get all the kinks out first, this car is the chosen one. :worshippy:

If all you had is code 12, then there are no codes.

yea, LOL, a code 12 means...no codes. Otherwise after it flashed a code THREE times it would move to the next one, so after 3 times of code 12, you're good.

and yea, CKP would be an option just to know. You can actually TEST it VERY easily, if you have an multimeter.

Unplug the 3 prong plug from your ICM and touch the two wires furthest apart (polarity doesn't matter in Ohm tests), obviously do this with the car off. If it's been off for a while you should be looking 900-1200 range. Give or take a bit. If you're pretty far off of that you'll know the CKP is bad.

And i don't think these cars have a camshaft position sensor?

ah shit! I forgot that's where the knock sensor was at :willynilly:

But, there is no CPS ;)

There are industry standard abbreviations for sensors, CPS being cam position, CKP would be for the crank ;)

the poltergeist is back and now the rad fan is flicking on and off and after turning the key off and on will make the ghost move to the ac compressor where it flicks on and off the ac clutch.

it seems like it MIGHT be heat related because I drove it around all day in 100 degree weather with ac on and it was heat soaked for 8-9 hours but the ecm is in the engine bay too with the heat so I am going to swap that out next. then move on to icm/coils/ckp. because when it breaks down it wants to start but will fire like half of the cylinders and blow black smoke, die, then "heal" itself a few minutes later.

I just pulled off the engine bay weather stripping by the windshield/firewall to help the heat escape better.

so, I thought it might have been the O2, but that was only a small part of it, damn! she drove great all week...

• 2 weeks later...

well, I think the heat did get to the ecm, because I swapped in the spare and have not had a problem in the last 7 days.

glad to have some more kinks worked out before the few more upgrades coming up though. next on the list is the tranny mount. I did the motor mount first thing when I got it of course, but still have some slosh from the 18 year old tranny mount that is always guaranteed to be almost as trashed as the motor mount.