Low high end power

shadow

Zero to 80 the car pulls fine but at around 85ish the car feels like the turbo is going off and on Almost like the engine is not getting enough fuel or its a fuel cutoff problem. The car seems quick but still not even a chirp from the tires taking off at WOT. Engine runs smooth and there is no check engine light coming on?

Thanks

Chris

I think the same thing, mine does that sometimes around 85ish, plus I also have hard cold starts which I think is the fuel pump too, so that is entirely possible in your situation.

I think the same thing, mine does that sometimes around 85ish, plus I also have hard cold starts which I think is the fuel pump too, so that is entirely possible in your situation.

Yes I am getting hard starts too. Is the fuel pump easy to replace? The thermostat was cake.

only like in the morning though or after it's been like 8 hours or so between driving?

Although it only does it if I am just hittin the gas around 80, if I am WOT before that, like at the track, it seems fine.

only like in the morning though or after it's been like 8 hours or so between driving?

Although it only does it if I am just hittin the gas around 80, if I am WOT before that, like at the track, it seems fine.

Exactly same here

x3.. my car feels weak on top end and takes a good 5-10 long cranks for it to start the first time you drive it during the day. After that, it only takes 1 or 2 cranks for it to start..

I guess people haven't really considered the fact that by 85, you are trying to push a whole ton of air. That and the fact the puny stock turbo can't keep up by then, of course power will drop off. The 3.1 isn't exactly a top end performance engine.

Some of us have built top ends and larger turbos, and still experience the same symptoms. Walbro 255 here we come! And 85 is kind of a broad generalization for the speed...I'm sure not everyone here is going exactly 85 when the problem kicks in.

Some of us have built top ends and larger turbos, and still experience the same symptoms. Walbro 255 here we come! And 85 is kind of a broad generalization for the speed...I'm sure not everyone here is going exactly 85 when the problem kicks in.

Yeah, I'm in this group....Even with a gigantic turbo, at 85 our car still doesn't feel like it did from 0-50. There is an obvious difference between 6500 in 1st gear and 2nd gear. A lot less gear pushing a whole bunch more air will do this.

But yes, for anyone with possible fuel pump problems, luckily yes they are relatively easy to replace. Just make sure to have the tank mostly empty or it could be an ugly mess! :willynilly:

The pump with the right connector is also nice, don't have to worry about fuel causing wiring problems.

Is the fuel pump in the gas tank like so many cars these days?

Yes, the fuel pump is located inside the tank. There's a write-up at the TGPForums that details replacing the pump.

I posted the link in this thread.

I am curious though. In my Haynes W-Body manual it shows you can access the pump from the trunk, by removing a cover...or is this for a later model of W-Body?

I am curious though. In my Haynes W-Body manual it shows you can access the pump from the trunk, by removing a cover...or is this for a later model of W-Body?

unfortunately its for the later models.

my TSTE had the same cover like in the TGP's that unscrewed in the trunk but that was just to show wires, the fuel pump is in the center of the tank.

so you'lll have to unbolt those 4 pita bolts to get at it...lol

I had issues, which is why I didn't bother. plus I didn't need it, I just wanted to put a Walbro 255 in it :mrgreen:

I think they changed it in 94. At least on the Cutlass Convertibles. A guy i know with a 93 vert was tellin me if it was one year newer he wouldnt have had to drop the tank when he replaced the fuel pump.

Thanks man!! but too much work for someone with my basic mechanical skills.