97-03' Front Bumper Cover 'Fill' Around the Plate Cover???

Stevo

Since I got rear-ended last week. *oh frakkin joy!*

I have to get the relatively minor damage fixed on my GTP's rear bumper cover. The thing is ... some douche did some paint and clear to the front bumper cover and did a shit job. The clearcoat is peeling and the bumper cover has tiny picks in the plastic from a lot of highway driving (or the owner loved to rally race on dirt roads).

I was considering paying the extra $$$ and having the front bumper cover done as well... properly. What I was considering was to fill in the front license plate cover seeing that our province does not require a front license plate. Can anyone let me in on the proper way to do this? I think it would look good with the seam gone and the logo on the front.

Thanks

It is something I have seen done before.... and poorly at that. I'd imagine It is possible but probably not durable in the long run. If you would do it I would recommend using some flexible bumper repair material. but honestly I would stay away from it.

it has been done , and to clear things up these bumpers are not abs plastic, the only car on the road that has abs plastic on the out side is saturn, and i will tell ya it is the worst plastic to work with nothing sticks to it, stay far away from it,

ok so the first thing you need to do is identify the type of plastic you are working with you will see that inside the plastic you should see this<tpo> thats the "iso code" every plastic has it

so with that example you should see TPO/TPE/TEO/ PP/ or if its yellow in color it is polyurathene, the plastics like TPO/TPE/TEO/PP those are thermo set plastics/offlien plastic all those plastic need a adheshion promoter for anything to stick to it

yes plastic welding is a great way to repair/modify plastic

DSCF0827.jpg

i made that for a friend of mine its all plastic, plastic welded and using repair material, there were no iso codes so i had to determain what ype of plastic i was working with, who?? cut off a small piece of plastic get a cup of water try to make it sink if it floats then you must prommote the plastic, if it sinks then no need for adheshion promoter

so i would first determain what iam working with, lightly grind the plastic, beveling the edges so the rod and plastic melt level, gettin the correct plastic weld in the extra piece of plastic into the area making it smooth as you go , it has to cool off before touching it with sand paper, D.A. with 120, if you have determained that you need promoter apply it now let it dry for 15 mins then apply the correct repair material over the area you welded

sand it with 120, then apply the finishing plastic repair material over, sand with 120 then 180 then 240 i always finish my plastic repair/custom work in 240, any type of plastic likes to swell up, it looks easy but its not for the novice, if your close to me i can do it for ya of course for a small fee, but i can do it

but thats in small plastic repair