Rear Brake Problem (94+ rears)

Robby1870

I just had the same problem with my cutlass, i had to replace both rear calipers, and rotors. I also flushed out the brake fluid.

It stops so much better now. With no problems at all so far.

my cutalss has always been like that. the pistons collapse normally and everything looks good until the brakes start to wear. I will post a pic of my month old brakes tomorrow lol.

Ken, GP's normally didn't get the aux springs, except some LE's.

I've seen a few on GPs...

cars that have aux springs that i have seen are:

convertibles (maybe all of them?)

base model cars without a rear swaybar

sporty models with a rear swaybar.

many 3.4 cars... (including a 95 GTP)

in fact... everycar i own has them except both my 95s!

my 91 euro did not have them... so 8/11 Ws that I;ve had had aux springs...

granted... those aren't GPs...

So i just want to know what the Aux springs may have to do with the brakes because i have those PITA 8 shaped springs lol

I'm getting the impression that the caliper piston is seizing/seized. It will apply due to the fluid pressure applied to it but it can't release fully on its own so it hangs on. As for the caliper slider pins, altho you've purchased some already there is a carbon fiber pin kit out there that will put a total end to the pins seizing, I purchased this kit some 12 years ago and have had no issues with my rear brakes since.

So i just want to know what the Aux springs may have to do with the brakes because i have those PITA 8 shaped springs lol

93- aux springs are mounter further outboard, and interfere if used with 94+ brakes.

And the problem is/was...........

Clogged brake line, the rubber part. So, I ordered a line for a 1994 and one for a 1990. I had the 1990 line on there, and I hope the 94 line is long enough. But if it's not, I'll just use the new 1990 line.

I put the new caliper on and tried to bleed it and nothing came out, so I took the rubber line off and viola, fluid came out.

WTK?

WTK? What is that?

Yeah, somehow that old line got clogged or something. The new 94+ rear line ended up being too short so I had to use the new '90 line. No big deal. I didn't even look at the old line to exactly what was wrong with. After getting my arm covered in brake fluid several times replacing it, I was too mad to even mess with. Straight to the dumpster!

I'd recommend you flush the rest of your brake system if there is enoguh shit in it to cause the whole line to plug up!

Yeah, I thought about that. I feel like the problem was just in that line though since I've had on other issues with the brakes. I don't really have time for that since I'm moving next weekend.

it may be too late now, but the '93 lines are all-rubber and might be a bit longer than the '94s.

WTK = what the koala

Ah. Good to know. I didn't really have time to mix and match parts. Although, I will look into the 93 lines as I'd like to redo the rear brakes with all rubber lines.

When brake fluid isnt flushed properly at certain intervals it has a high copper concentration and of course, its hydroscopic so it absorbs water and when its so high of a level and old it will eat away at the system and cause clogs and lines to rot out prematurely from the inside out..

Not uncommon to have old hoses clog and collapse due to the contamination

Glad to hear you got it fixed :thumb: