Wanted to show off my UIM

GPX

This is a week after the first time I popped the hood after a really long winter. enginecompartmentbefore.jpgI drive almost 4 miles on a dirt road to work. I'm still working on the clean-up, but that UIM has been begging me to paint it since the swap last spring. Here's the before and after of my UIM. UIMbefore.jpgbeforeUIMafter.jpgand after

I sanded the numbers/letters down first. Then I removed all the bolts/hoses/brackets I could get to. Then I masked everything as best I could. Then three quick coats of engine primer and three quick coats of Duplicolor engine paint. Dries fast. The next morning I threw it all back together and waited a couple days before I sanded the paint off the numbers/letters again. I scuffed it a little while I was cleaning up the letters so I'm going to put some more coats on next week. Also planning to do the exposed block and rocker cover. Do I have a rubber gasket under that cover that I can expect to re-use, or should I plan on having a new one on hand?

x2 on the gaskets.... you need some engine degreaser, then go from there. Itll look a million times better.

Ohh and one thing about the duplicolor stuff... I painted my exhaust manifold heatsheilds with that stuff, and everytime I drive it, I can smell that stuff. What started out to be nice and shiney... is kinda turning dull... I wish I would have gotten those powdercoated too.

It looks great though! Hardest part is keeping it like that!

Thanks for the compliments and the advice. So far so good with the paint finish. :biggrin: I've used this stuff before and smelled it everytime I drove the car and had it get dull (haven't smelled it at all this time!). I never used the primer with it before though. I don't know if that made the difference or if it is that the UIM doesn't get as hot as exhaust manifolds (probably that). I keep working on the rest of the bay. About 70% complete but it's an ongoing battle working on a dirt road. I have two other underhood issues to work on and I'll have separate posts about those.

PS: did a really dumb thing Sunday that I just figured out today. I was cleaning the hood-latch mechanism and I unhooked the big spring to clean behind it. Then I forgot to re-attach it. Now the hood won't open. :lol: Haven't had time to find out how dumb it really is yet. :willynilly:

looks great, but wouldn't it have been easier just to pull the uim off rather than mask everything in the engine bay?

Probably, but I didn't want to get a new gasket and I wasn't sure what I'd be getting into with the TB and other stuff at that end. Masking wasn't too bad.